cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore SLI reading backwards HELP!

pa2806n
Level 8
Hello.

I have the Rampage Encore board with the (ek-quantum momentum rog rampage vi encore d-rgb - plexi) Mono block. I have 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti Hydro coppers in slots 16-1 and 16-2 with nvlink bridge. The problem is my monitor is plugged into the top card and Nvidia control panel shows it in the bottom. I am getting stutter in games with SLI disabled and with enabled. I am on my 3rd motherboard and I am ready to pull my hair out. I have tried everything I can think of. I swapped cards, cleared cmos, tried bios 401 and 702,checked that PCI lanes are x16 x16 x8, video card in bios is on 16-1, Removed 2080tis and installed GTX 980tis one at a time and discovered that when I introduce the second card in slot 16-2 is when it gets confused. I have a 970 EVO NVME on DIMM.2-1 on PCH side, I think. I pulled the DIMM.2 and put in a 2.5 SSD installed windows 10 fresh on that SSD and still the same thing. I then plugged my RTX 2080Tis into my Rampage V and the cards work normal , like they are supposed to, tried DDU and various Nvidia drivers.

I am wondering if anyone else has installed the same mono block and might have some insight into that block. That is the only thing I cant rule out. Thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
23 REPLIES 23

G75rog
Level 10
What CPU/RAM ?

pa2806n
Level 8
Hello. Thanks for the reply. I have a intel *I9 10900X and 16 GB 4X4 Corsair Dominator CMD16GX4M4B2000C14. I am wondering who else is using my encore mono block. Thanks!

pa2806n
Level 8
Sorry the RAM was A typo its Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4B3000C14. I checked on the QVL list and the parent number is on there. It does say Revision something, I cant remember. I have had no issues with it that I can see. This mother board is confused about PCI slots.

Thanks!

Nate152
Hi pa2806n

When running SLI, I always install both cards, connect the bridge, then install the Nvidia driver.

I'm using two older Titan Xp's in SLI and they are working fine.

pa2806n
Level 8
Thanks Nate 152
I do it the same way exactly, but not getting the same results unfortunately. They work fine on my Rampage V. I just had to get that Rampage VI encore.
Thanks for your input!*

Nate152
If they work fine on your Rampage V motherboard, three things cross my mind.

1) Configuration - I'm not familiar with the Rampage boards but there could be a setting causing performance issues.

2) Power - Are you using the same power supply or something similar?

3) Are the cpu and ram up to speed?

pa2806n
Level 8
Hello Nate152.

Thanks for the reply!

Configuration- I will have to play with it some more. I have been through the BIOS a lot, but it could be possible. I have checked that my cards are in the proper slots and is set to run at full 8GTS and confirmed it does. For some reason it sees my cards backwards and runs like sh*t. I have a Samsung 970 EVO NVME and it is really sluggish as well. I am getting huge frame drops and stuttering in games to the point where I cant play at all.

Power- I have a corsair AX1600i power supply that I just got 6 months ago. I have plugged in the 2 8 pin CPU and 6 pin PCI power cables, as well as the 4 pin molex. I used this power supply on my rampage V a week ago to test the cards on a different board and the cards worked fine.

CPU is at 4.8 @ 1.25 volts and stable with good temps. Ram is Corsair Dominator CMD16GX4M4B3000C14 Ver 5.29. I checked the QVL list and they have my model, but @C15 ver4.24, so its technically not on the QVL. I have it running at 2933 MHZ @ 1.35 Volts. I am having no problems with that ram that I can see, no boot issues no windows corruption and has passed memtest.
I have never seen this before. I pulled the SLI or NVlink bridge, put my display port into the bottom card and it runs off the top card. If i plug it ino the top it runs on the bottom. Its blowing my mind! I tried a different monitor and the same thing.
I am starting to think that its the EK Encore Mono block that I have installed. That is the only thing except the ram that I havnt ruled out. Question. Do you know of anyone on the forum that has that EK Encore Mono block?
Thanks Nate152!

pa2806n
Level 8
[attach=con87257fig]87254[/attach]

pa2806n
Level 8
Excuse the mess I have it half way apart for troubleshooting. This is a picture of the Mono block that I was talking about. The other picture is of my desktop with Nvidia control panel, AIDA 64 panel on the right. MSI agrees with AIDA 64, Windows hardware monitor disagrees with both.
IN device manager, display adapters. It shows top card PCI slot 4 bus 23, bottom card PCI slot 6 bus 101. If I uninstall top card slot 4 in device manager the bottom card goes out and vice versa . I wish they still had the PCI lane switches.
I am so confused!