cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING about Asus Strix x570 boards - Worst chipset cooler design ever!

Juston_Gold
Level 7
Just a warning about the Asus Strix x570 boards as they have defective chipset cooler design.

So I bought an Asus Strix x570-e board. I was shocked at how BAD the chipset cooler design is. It is easily the worst chipset cooler design. What they did was use a very thick thermal pad and a mount a simple plate with a few fins as the heatsink. It was a complete joke. My chipset temps were reaching 80c with the fan running at full speed. This was due to the crappy thick thermal pad they used and the tiny heatsink.

So I removed the garbage thermal pad and used an aluminum shim with real thermal paste, then mounted the heatsink back on and used half threaded screws with spring mounts to keep the heatsink and shim flat on the chipset dye.

Now chipset temps never go above 58c even while gaming and the chipset fan only ever spins at 1300rpm max. I am shocked at how bad the engineering team at Asus is.
3 REPLIES 3

Ozan_
Level 7
Still does it suffering from same issue?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Juston Gold wrote:
Just a warning about the Asus Strix x570 boards as they have defective chipset cooler design.

So I bought an Asus Strix x570-e board. I was shocked at how BAD the chipset cooler design is. It is easily the worst chipset cooler design. What they did was use a very thick thermal pad and a mount a simple plate with a few fins as the heatsink. It was a complete joke. My chipset temps were reaching 80c with the fan running at full speed. This was due to the crappy thick thermal pad they used and the tiny heatsink.

So I removed the garbage thermal pad and used an aluminum shim with real thermal paste, then mounted the heatsink back on and used half threaded screws with spring mounts to keep the heatsink and shim flat on the chipset dye.

Now chipset temps never go above 58c even while gaming and the chipset fan only ever spins at 1300rpm max. I am shocked at how bad the engineering team at Asus is.

These are fairly bold claims...

I haven't seen the behavior you are seeing on the 570-E and I have two to hand. Temperatures land in the 60c region...

See the below review, also similar results.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/luke-hill/asus-rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-motherboard-re...

Chipset temperatures were fine, showing the typical mid-60s reading for X570 motherboards. ASUS’ chipset cooling solution seemed perfectly adequate at managing the heat output without requiring excessive fan speeds. The small 40mm fan stayed below 3000 RPM for the vast majority of our testing.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Same here, not quite 80C, but the fan is always maxed out.

It's bad.