cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X570-I Chipset Fan/Cooling

ronnieb555
Level 7
I've put together a new build and it is silent at full load except from the chipset fan/cooling on the X570-I.

I saw some posts about missing thermal pads under the chipset cooler, which I've checked and mine had one stock but I replaced it anyways which made no difference.

In games/load, the temp of the chipset gets up into the high 70's/low 80's maxing out at 84/85c.
With this the chipset fan is screaming at almost 8,000rpm and is louder than 4 noctua case fans, NH-U12A and Asus Tuf rtx3080 combined.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this?
Is it possible to change the fan to a quieter one?
Any bios settings I can check to see if the volts are too high or something?
Any help is really.
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12
Full system specification - nope, wow outcomes my magic eight-ball to guess the answer.

hmm this is new one, "unplug the power" problem solved, only kidding but seriously can't help without understanding/knowing what you actually have, what case it is in, air con room, computer specifications, etc ?

RedSector73 wrote:
Full system specification - nope, wow outcomes my magic eight-ball to guess the answer.

hmm this is new one, "unplug the power" problem solved, only kidding but seriously can't help without understanding/knowing what you actually have, what case it is in, air con room, computer specifications, etc ?

Sorry for not including my specs, please see below.

Ryzen 5900x - Noctua NH-12UA (Idles 25-30c, load 60-65c)
Asus X570-I
Trident Z RGB 3600mhz CL17
Asus Tuf OC RTX3080 (Idles 25-29c, load 70-75c)
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Cooler Master NR200P (Mesh side pannels, bottom intake Noctua slim NF-A12x15, top exhaust Noctua NF-A12x25)

Only component I have heat/noise issue with is the chipset.
Thanks!

RedSector73
Level 12
Hey thanks for the information. I don't have issue with my x570 CH8 but let's give this a shot for you.

Firstly the PCH you mention you replaced the ?shim? to the chipset or just the thermal paste, can you expand on this as could be a source problem now. Also remember not just PCH fan or at least how it appears to me, it is also cooling the VRM's which are driving your 5900x, which by assumption makes my last point possibly valid to consider.

Second, wondering if the RTX3080 orientation would help, have your considered using vertical GPU mount or are you using it currently. Some cases (like yours Cooler Master NR200P) have these and just use fly PCIe cable https://www.coolermaster.com/au/en-a...6-ver-2-300mm/ or Cooler master make this which is drop in unit to most cases https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog...lder-kit-ver2/ or does the Noctua heatsink say NOOOO

Which leads to my last point and not going to love it. The Noctua is NOT blowing air over the VRM's like other coolers such as stock AMD wraith PRISM and this is contributing to the heat issue your poor PCH fan is trying to deal with. The Noctua, is yeah sure doing a wonderful job of keeping the CPU cool but is isnt helping keep the VRM's cool. So I am wondering if right about this if the NH-C14S or NH-L12S might be better overall choice or fancy AIO with air movement on CPU like the ROG ones maybe the right answer to the problem?

Another way to deal with this would be excellent airflow through the case, but I feel the noctua heatsink fans will be pulling that airflow, and they are leaving the VRM's with static hot air around them, given the case and the design of the motherboard assumption.

Hope you find this helpful, even if incorrect, it might help you see the issue or eliminate possible causes.

RedSector73 wrote:
Hey thanks for the information. I don't have issue with my x570 CH8 but let's give this a shot for you.

Firstly the PCH you mention you replaced the ?shim? to the chipset or just the thermal paste, can you expand on this as could be a source problem now. Also remember not just PCH fan or at least how it appears to me, it is also cooling the VRM's which are driving your 5900x, which by assumption makes my last point possibly valid to consider.

Second, wondering if the RTX3080 orientation would help, have your considered using vertical GPU mount or are you using it currently. Some cases (like yours Cooler Master NR200P) have these and just use fly PCIe cable https://www.coolermaster.com/au/en-a...6-ver-2-300mm/ or Cooler master make this which is drop in unit to most cases https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog...lder-kit-ver2/ or does the Noctua heatsink say NOOOO

Which leads to my last point and not going to love it. The Noctua is NOT blowing air over the VRM's like other coolers such as stock AMD wraith PRISM and this is contributing to the heat issue your poor PCH fan is trying to deal with. The Noctua, is yeah sure doing a wonderful job of keeping the CPU cool but is isnt helping keep the VRM's cool. So I am wondering if right about this if the NH-C14S or NH-L12S might be better overall choice or fancy AIO with air movement on CPU like the ROG ones maybe the right answer to the problem?

Another way to deal with this would be excellent airflow through the case, but I feel the noctua heatsink fans will be pulling that airflow, and they are leaving the VRM's with static hot air around them, given the case and the design of the motherboard assumption.

Hope you find this helpful, even if incorrect, it might help you see the issue or eliminate possible causes.

Sorry for the late reply, I only replaced the thermal pad that is directly on the chipset which is located under the M.2 drive. I didn't touch anything with the VRM cooler/thermal pads and I used Gelid GP-Extreme 1.5mm to replace the pad.

I unfortunately can't change the GPU orientation as the Noctua cooler is too large haha

Ultimately I think I haven't won the silicone lottery and my chipset must just run hot but also like you say I think that there is no airflow over the chipset and it's airflow is left to that mini fan on the cooler. I might give the NHC14S a try and if it doesn't work out send that back, but I have also contacted the shop I purchased the motherboard from and told them about the problem, maybe they will replace the motherboard and that replacement unit might be cooler.

Thanks for the help! 🙂