cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Impact, can't downgrade bios.

JohnEJohn
Level 7
My mistake, he has the ROG Strix X570-I Gaming.

A friend of mine recently built a system based around this motherboard, he upgraded the bios to v3003 and his system is now completely unstable, whea errors, nvme corruption etc

He wants to downgrade the bios but there is no flashback on this board, he has tried previous bioes using ezflash but nothing works, just get a message that it's not a proper bios etc.
flash drive is fat32, mbr, bios is correctly named.

Any idea how he can downgrade on this board as the latest bios has made his system unusable.
15 REPLIES 15

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
JohnEJohn wrote:
there is no flashback on this board

There is in fact USB BIOS flashback...so just use that

Maybe reflash latest BIOS with this method since it works fine on all impacts I've tried....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
There is in fact USB BIOS flashback...so just use that

Maybe reflash latest BIOS with this method since it works fine on all impacts I've tried....

My mistake, he has the ROG Strix X570-I Gaming.

Is there a way to downgrade without flashback?

RedSector73
Level 12
All ROG boards have flashback and this is only way to downgrade BIOS.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Maybe download a fresh file of latest BIOS and reflash that

JohnEJohn
Level 7
Sadly any fresh bios he tries just comes up as incompatible.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't appear to be a flashback on this board, tthere is no flashback button on the back?

JohnEJohn wrote:
Sadly any fresh bios he tries just comes up as incompatible.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't appear to be a flashback on this board, tthere is no flashback button on the back?

Looking at the mobo manual for ROG Strix I, it does not appear to have flashback - no button or specified USB port.

Are you sure the correct BIOS are being used ?? 3003 is an X570 Crosshair BIOS. Asus.com shows recent Strix BIOS as:
3001 - 12/8/2020
2816 - 11/25/2020 (beta)
2813 - 11/05/2020 (beta)
2802 - 10/23/2020

wyliec2 wrote:
Looking at the mobo manual for ROG Strix I, it does not appear to have flashback - no button or specified USB port.

Are you sure the correct BIOS are being used ?? 3003 is an X570 Crosshair BIOS. Asus.com shows recent Strix BIOS as:
3001 - 12/8/2020
2816 - 11/25/2020 (beta)
2813 - 11/05/2020 (beta)
2802 - 10/23/2020

Yeah he's using the correct bios, even sent me the links and they are correct, the confusion was my fault.

He's tried every previously released bios on several USB sticks formatted in fat32 with an mbr partition, he just gets error messages when trying to flash the bios with ez flash that they aren't compatible etc.

His only hope is a future bios release fixes the issue as it's unusable in its current state.

JohnEJohn wrote:

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-impact-model/gallery/
I see BIOS flashback button, right next CLR BIOS button.

RedSector73 wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-impact-model/gallery/
I see BIOS flashback button, right next CLR BIOS button.

Thread was updated to indicate this is an ROG Strix X570 I mobo and not Crosshair Impact.