cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 1003 WHEA errors

rstolpe1988
Level 7
Hi,
I did update yesterday to the new BIOS version 1003 and now today I did get a WHEA error.

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Unknown Error Source
Error Type: Internal parity error
Processor APIC ID: 2

The details view of this entry contains further information.

It's a corrected so It's not to bad but still. I'm hoping you guys are fixing it as soon as possible.
The CPU are not overclocked, It's on Intel Default.
It's a 10900k CPU.

Need to add that it's intermitting happening so it's not all the time and I can't force it to happen either.
I'll try to roolback to the 0901 or the 0804 I did skipp the 0901 version so I'm not sure if the issue was in the 0901 version or not. But I'll try it out and report back. It was no issues with the 0804 version anyway.
10 REPLIES 10

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
It is probably the microcode. I had to increase my core voltage with the newer microcode. 901 has the same microcode as 1003.

There are a couple of things you can do:

1. Roll back to 804
2. Mod the 103 BIOS to use the older microcode.
3. Raise the voltage a tad

Mind you, the newer microcode has some vulnerabilities patched.

BIOS 901 and 1003 have microcode revision E2. BIOS 804 has CA.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
It is probably the microcode. I had to increase my core voltage with the newer microcode. 901 has the same microcode as 1003.

There are a couple of things you can do:

1. Roll back to 804
2. Mod the 103 BIOS to use the older microcode.
3. Raise the voltage a tad

Mind you, the newer microcode has some vulnerabilities patched.

BIOS 901 and 1003 have microcode revision E2. BIOS 804 has CA.

Ok I see, so what I need to do is to rollback to 804 to fix the issue? I don't want to manually adjust the voltages to the vcore etc. I'm to old for it I just want to run everything as I use to do without any issues and just have Intel Default settings.
I'm hoping they are fixing the issue soon then. I guess that Asus will fix it with a new BIOS later on?

I can't see that I need anything in the new BIOS as the old one did run stable for me and I have a MSI 2080 Super so the BAR update I don't need.

Edit:
The WHEA error don't cause any BSOD as it's a corratable problem. But still it's anoying. And it don't happen all the time either it seem to happen randomly. Sometime after one day etc.

rstolpe1988
Level 7
I did find even more issues in the Event Viewer:
: The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

Asus what have you done with this BIOS version?

rstolpe1988 wrote:
I did find even more issues in the Event Viewer:
: The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

Asus what have you done with this BIOS version?

That EC event is normal - nothing to worry about. I believe I had it with my Z390 Gigabyte MB as well.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
I believe it is an Intel processor microcode change. Nothing Asus can do about that if so. Maybe Intel will update the microcode and that weill fix it. Wouldn't hold my breath though - it means Intel would need to fix it and Asus would need to include it in a BIOS update - unless you mod the BIOS.

The correctable WHEA will likely eventually lead to a uncorrectable one and crash your system. If you can live with that...

I run 1003 modded with the older CA microcode.

geneo wrote:
I believe it is an Intel processor microcode change. Nothing Asus can do about that if so. Maybe Intel will update the microcode and that weill fix it. Wouldn't hold my breath though - it means Intel would need to fix it and Asus would need to include it in a BIOS update - unless you mod the BIOS.

The correctable WHEA will likely eventually lead to a uncorrectable one and crash your system. If you can live with that...

I run 1003 modded with the older CA microcode.

I did take a look and the bios version that I did use before the WHEA errors is the 0901 and not 0804 I did confirmed it now as in the 0804 you can’t change the fan curve after 75c in the Q-Fan and I did have it set to 80c so I did have the 0901.

Also Asus can adjust how the vcore are adjusting during the auto setting to match the microcode.
But I guess that I maybe need to start to adjust the damn vcore. I hate to adjust stuff by hand.Â*

Saltgrass
Level 13
I just jumped to the 2002 version. Haven't had any time to test but seems OK so far..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
I just jumped to the 2002 version. Haven't had any time to test but seems OK so far..

Is there an ME firmware update that comes with 2002?

geneo wrote:
Is there an ME firmware update that comes with 2002?

Not that I see..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200