cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Phone 3 network issues *only* with Google Maps

real_dgw
Level 7
As something of a trial run, I upgraded my mom to a ROG Phone 3 (512/16, USA model) last month. (Her previous phone was having issues charging; mine is still OK.)

Over these last several weeks, both of us have noticed that Google Maps often stops loading directions, map tiles, etc. It's clearly not a connectivity issue, since any other app (browser, email, etc.) loads content over the network just fine. It's only Google Maps that refuses to work properly.

Restarting the phone always seems to fix it, but of course rebooting the phone 90% of the times one wants to get directions is no real solution.

Sometimes Maps will start working again after toggling mobile data off and on, or enabling and then disabling Airplane Mode. Sometimes that doesn't help at all.

I have also tried:

• Clearing Maps' cache
  • Clearing all Maps' data
  • Uninstalling Maps updates
  • Updating Maps to the latest version again from Google Play

The next logical step would be a factory reset, but that's obviously a very disruptive option. I'm not super confident in my ability to make sure nothing gets lost in the process (photos, text messages, etc.) and I know she won't want to deal with it.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? Might it help to get the phone updated to the latest firmware (with Dec 2020 security patches and fixes for bypass charging, among others)?

Meanwhile, the problem has been so frequent and frustrating lately that she wants to return the ROG and go back to her old phone, charging problems or no.
2 REPLIES 2

Blake1
Level 10
Hello real_dgw,
Please kindly join our Zentalk phone community
https://zentalk.asus.com/en/categories/rog3-ww
and our moderators can better help you out.
Thank you very much.