cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX cards: Any official documentation on the two bioses - Quiet vs performance?

Rollerx
Level 7
Hello, I have an Asus Strix 1660 Super Gaming GPU. It has two bioses that can be changed by a physical switch. I haven't been able to find any information on these two. Is there any documentation available, such as manual or just description? Does it only affect the fan speed or also something else?
12 REPLIES 12

Kiriakos-GR
Level 7
There is no specific information about this question from ASUS.
But few reviewed products they did demonstrate a simple Fan curve change, at performance mode (dual fan model) it did spin both fan at 3% higher rpm.

Kiriakos-GR wrote:
There is no specific information about this question from ASUS.
But few reviewed products they did demonstrate a simple Fan curve change, at performance mode (dual fan model) it did spin both fan at 3% higher rpm.

Yes I've seen one comparison on YouTube too. Performance mode was louder but cooler. Strange that such a basic feature is undocumented.

Rollerx wrote:
Yes I've seen one comparison on YouTube too. Performance mode was louder but cooler. Strange that such a basic feature is undocumented.

Yes it feels like, ASUS pushing their customers to use MSI Afterburner for the discovery of hardware features.
In the positive side of things their newer 90mm DC fan they are well designed and silent.

I wonder if anyone has the following information about these two bioses and this card?

• Temperature at which the fans start rotating
  • RPM at starting temperature
  • Maximum RPM

Rollerx wrote:
I wonder if anyone has the following information about these two bioses and this card?

• Temperature at which the fans start rotating
  • RPM at starting temperature
  • Maximum RPM

Max DC fan operating temperature 70C
Max RPM 3500
Fan Start 55C

Fan model : T129215SU

Kiriakos-GR wrote:
Max DC fan operating temperature 70C
Max RPM 3500
Fan Start 55C

Fan model : T129215SU

Thanks! But which bios uses these? As far as I understand,nthe values differ, even the max rpm.

Rollerx wrote:
Thanks! But which bios uses these? As far as I understand, the values differ, even the max rpm.

None , this is electrical specifications of the DC Fan it self.
VGA product page it does mention 0dB operation https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/All-series/DUAL-GTX1660S-O6G-MINI/
Click on tab COOLING --> 0dB Technology

Bios version ? You did not even mention the version in your own card ..

Kiriakos-GR wrote:
None , this is electrical specifications of the DC Fan it self.
VGA product page it does mention 0dB operation https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/All-series/DUAL-GTX1660S-O6G-MINI/
Click on tab COOLING --> 0dB Technology

Bios version ? You did not even mention the version in your own card ..

Yes, I also found a similar page yesterday for my card, https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1660S-O6G-GAMING/.
It says the 55 limit applies to silent bios. The card has both bioses and a switch to select either. I'm trying to understand their differences at extreme ends.

Use GPU-Z ... then boot with 0db Bios ... take a GPU-Z screen shot.
Power Off
... then boot with 1660 Performance Bios ... take a GPU-Z screen shot.

Then post them here.
I am assuming that 1660 Super Dual MINI has identical 0db Bios with Strix 0db Bios.