cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are you reducing coil whine on you're Asus 3090 Strix?

Cyber_Punk
Level 8
18 REPLIES 18

Megascrypt
Level 7
I don't have coil whine on my current Strix, but I did on several of EVGA cards and to minimize it and in some cases totally eliminate the coil whine I would stress my card to a MAX e.g. furemark on max settings for 1-2 hours, it will stress inductors enough that 8 /10 times they will settle and stop vibrating resulting in absolutely silent card.

RedSector73
Level 12
Cyber_Punk wrote:

By buying a decent PSU in the first place.

RedSector73 wrote:
By buying a decent PSU in the first place.

Some brands PSU's might, just might help very slightly, and take that with a pinch of salt, but PSU typologies 99% of a time will not make coil whine go away, Its solely inductors that under heavy load will scream.

I have had GPUs with very loud coil whine and I have used best Seasonic titanium PSUs with no difference until I literally torture that card and only then the coil whine would almost disappear.

Can the coil whine go away over time? I have a top end PSU. The TT Toughpower DPS G RGB 1500W Titanium. Over kill but a great power supply. Maybe it's the aftermarket custom 8-pin Molex cables running to the 3090? They were made exactly for the PSU. I had them at one time running to my 1080 Ti FTW3 in SLI with no coil whine of any kind.

Cyber_Punk wrote:
Can the coil whine go away over time? I have a top end PSU. The TT Toughpower DPS G RGB 1500W Titanium. Over kill but a great power supply. Maybe it's the aftermarket custom 8-pin Molex cables running to the 3090? They were made exactly for the PSU. I had them at one time running to my 1080 Ti FTW3 in SLI with no coil whine of any kind.

From my experience, no, the coil while will persist until you burn the card in. Cables and PSU itself are very insignificant whether your GPU will have coil whine or not.

By running your card hot, you can help 2 things, you can catch any issues if there are any that card might be hiding and reveal later when you least expected and you can eliminate coil whine all together, Its win-win.

Megascrypt wrote:
By running your card hot, you can help 2 things, you can catch any issues if there are any that card might be hiding and reveal later when you least expected and you can eliminate coil whine all together, Its win-win.

Interesting. Do you know why running hot helps eliminate the noise or have working theory ?

RedSector73 wrote:
Interesting. Do you know why running hot helps eliminate the noise or have working theory ?

Tbh. I'm not sure. The current that is going through copper wires and the inductors making them vibrate creating very high pitch, that's what you hearing, but why running your card through high heat torture helps its still a mystery to me.

Yockeren
Level 7
By limiting the FPS.
Running a game at hundreds+ FPS makes almost all cards whine (in pain) and is unnecessary.

You can put a max FPS in the Nvidia control panel.
If you have a g-sync monitor then limit it to your monitors max refresh rate, fx. 143-144 fps.
If you don't have g-sync then limit it to what you feel is best, 200+ fps isn't needed in any game IMO.

I have no coil whine because of doing this.

There is no real way to stop coil whine - and your power supply has nothing to do with it. My new 3090 has some very noticeable coil whine, as I'm sure most do. There has been some speculation that the backplate could be on too tight and causing increased coil whine, but Ive not seen anyone investigate and test that. Coil whine typically isn't something you can do a whole lot about. Its also important to note however that it is 100% harmless and is not a symptom of any problem or issue with the card. The noise can shift, change, and sometimes reduce as the card is used over time.

How am I dealing with it? Well coil whine only shows up when you hit the card with a 3D load. Normal desktop PC use doesnt cause any whine, its only when gaming. When I game, my fans all pick up speed, and the cards fans itself shoots up. The fan noise kind of drowns the coil whine out a lot. I also play with a headset on, which means I hear nothing from the pc. I deal with it by just not making a big deal about it. I could see where it could be bothersome if someone was running a pretty silent build and gamed without headphones.