cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build Crosshair VIII Hero Will Not Enter BIOS/EUFI

ValinHawK
Level 7
Hello ROG Forum Members,

In my new clean build (no OS installed) and first startup and after POST, I cannot get into the Asus BIOS/UEFI to configure for OS installation. When the ROG splash screen comes up it is displaying the message to Press Delete or F2 to enter BIOS, which I've been doing since Power On. I do not know if it's just not seeing the keyboard or what. I've tried 3 different keyboards and every USB port to no avail. I flashed the latest BIOS but this did not resolve the problem.

Here's my system configuration:

CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
RAM Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600, CAS Latency 16, 16-18-18, 1.35V
Storage Two Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB M.2 Internal Solid State Drives, SSD PCIe Gen 4 X 4 NVMe 1.3
Backup Storage Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS Hard Drive
GPU MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB 384-Bit GDDR6X Video Card
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-850, 850W 80+ Platinum

I can't get ASUS Tech Support because the Hero Mobo was purchased at Best Buy and and Asus requires they provide tech support for it -- but, that's just not something their people know -- so of no help. (Note to self, don't buy complex internal computer parts at Best Buy again...)

Would very much appreciate any suggestions!

Kind regards,

ValinHawK
15 REPLIES 15

dzo888
Level 8
With the computer off, have you tried pulling the CR2032 battery out of the motherboard for several minutes and then place it back in?

Normally, after pulling the battery or after performing a BIOS update, the BIOS would transition from the Logo screen to the Detailed screen and at the bottom of the screen, show a message requesting you to press F1 or F2 on the keyboard to get you into the BIOS to update your BIOS settings before continuing to boot.

RedSector73
Level 12
ValinHawK wrote:
I can't get ASUS Tech Support because the Hero Mobo was purchased at Best Buy and and Asus requires they provide tech support for it -- but, that's just not something their people know -- so of no help. (Note to self, don't buy complex internal computer parts at Best Buy again...)

Not following why it matters where you purchased it from to Asus tech.

You mention three keyboards tried, multi USB ports, but what are the keyboards you tried ?

RedSector73 wrote:
Not following why it matters where you purchased it from to Asus tech.

You mention three keyboards tried, multi USB ports, but what are the keyboards you tried ?

Thanks RedSector. Where the mobo was purchased from was the explanation of why I was unable to get Asus tech support. One has to enter the mobo's serial number and from that they know it was sold through Best Buy and won't help with it.

All the keyboards tried are wired with USB interface connections. The keyboards were from Alienware, Saitek, and Roccat.

Thanks!

RedSector73
Level 12
I've had an issue before where a USB keyboard don't work with motherboard not ch8. Of the ones you listed. I have used a Roccat on ch6 & ch8, so this should work. Cold comfort at this stage, I know.

I was not aware of support being dependant on where you buy from. best buy in au or usa ?

Is there a qcode on the poster ?
What is cooling your CPU and did it have it's own mounting hardware ?

RedSector73 wrote:
I've had an issue before where a USB keyboard don't work with motherboard not ch8. Of the ones you listed. I have used a Roccat on ch6 & ch8, so this should work. Cold comfort at this stage, I know.

I was not aware of support being dependant on where you buy from. best buy in au or usa ?

Is there a qcode on the poster ?
What is cooling your CPU and did it have it's own mounting hardware ?

The mobo finishes with a Q Code of 02 which is unable to boot -- of course no OS installed yet. No tones on POST but since new build can't be sure the chasis speaker is working.

Purchased at Best Buy online in USA. Custom water cooling loop to a Bitspower CPU/VRM monoblock.

Thanks for the help!

RedSector73
Level 12
Q code 02 is the issue we need to deal with. It means, AP initialisation before microcode loading. I would not worry about speaker or beep code, the Qcode poster is superior in every way.

I want you to check;
(1) above the CPU to the left are both EATX connectors in and fully seated.
(2) Is the RAM fully seated into the slots. Also consider, using only two to start with (till you have boot / can enter the bios) in slots 2 & 4 from CPU or even one, just in the 4th slot from the CPU till you have boot and can enter the BIOS.
(3) remove the graphics card, then replace it in the PCIe slot, ensure the connectors for the power are fully seated and that card is fully seated in the PCIe slot, the top PCIe (closest to the CPU).
(4) If modular PSU check all power into it is connected / seated correctly.
(5) Since your CPU/VRM monoblock changed the hardware holding the CPU, and sometimes possible to have that this hardware incorrectly orientated (some can be put on backwards) typically the insulated side faces to the motherboard. edit: found this guide, can be downloaded off this link https://shop.bitspower.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=7365 take note of item (3), (4), (6) and (7) are correct to the guide, when they were installed.

Hope you find this helpful.

RedSector73 wrote:
Q code 02 is the issue we need to deal with. It means, AP initialisation before microcode loading. I would not worry about speaker or beep code, the Qcode poster is superior in every way.

I want you to check;
(1) above the CPU to the left are both EATX connectors in and fully seated.
(2) Is the RAM fully seated into the slots. Also consider, using only two to start with (till you have boot / can enter the bios) in slots 2 & 4 from CPU or even one, just in the 4th slot from the CPU till you have boot and can enter the BIOS.
(3) remove the graphics card, then replace it in the PCIe slot, ensure the connectors for the power are fully seated and that card is fully seated in the PCIe slot, the top PCIe (closest to the CPU).
(4) If modular PSU check all power into it is connected / seated correctly.
(5) If your CPU/VRM monoblock changed the hardware holding the CPU, that this hardware is correctly orientated (some can be put on backwards) typically the insulated side faces to the motherboard.

Hope you find this helpful.

Thank you RedSector! I don't know why I remembered what Q Code 02 is so incorrectly. I remember reading that before but haven't even Googled it to help understand what it means. It's been 25 years since I've put together a computer and am learning the latest technology along the way now. I'll perform your recommendations in the morning.

On the CPU power, I only have the 8 pin connector attached because the manual said with the 8 it was optional to also add the 4. I'll run the 4 pin as well.

I'll leave only one of the 8 GB DRAM sticks in the A1 slot, farthest away.

I currently have the graphics card vertically mounted with the PCI extention cable inserted in the second PCIe slot. Does it have to be in the first slot? I put it in the second to improve access and air flow. The ROG splash screen does come up on the monitor. Should I directly mount the card or just move the extension cable to the first slot?

I'll verify all power cables are well seated.

I have the insulated/rubber gasket of the waterblock mounting hardware on the backside of the PCB in contact with the PCB. So don't think I'm shorting any PCB traces there. Good thing to check since that is something I can see people getting mixed up on as I had to think through it myself given the poor instructions provided.

I'll report back on the results in the morning (USA Mountain Time).

Thank you for the help and happy new year!

catch36
Level 8
Which one of the 4 motherboard LED's lights are on when the Q-code 02 is on the display during boot . if any of them stay on, there's your problem.

catch36 wrote:
Which one of the 4 motherboard LED's lights are on when the Q-code 02 is on the display during boot . if any of them stay on, there's your problem.

Catch36, it's the fourth LED light labeled "Boot".