cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73JW not detecting vid card

Retired
Not applicable
So I let the Asus utility update the various items that it said had an upgrade. I went to restart it and now its not loading my Nvidia GTX460m. The Nvidia control panel isn't installed anymore. The asus utility is showing that it has an update for my card, but when it downloads and installs it, same problem. It shows only a Generic VGA card and I've also tried to install from Nvidia's website...
6 REPLIES 6

Retired
Not applicable
I got mine 3 days ago had the same problem . I had to re install software and removes the asus update utility.

Asus live update worked properly for me for the first time ever today. I reinstalled windows off of a windows disc instead of using the asus disc and then installed all the asus programs and drivers off the asus driver disc, worked like a charm. Live update is largely useless, so I'd recommend doing as kelb99 said and removing it and installing drivers manually.

Retired
Not applicable
I had this problem on my new G73JW. Followed the automated Asus Live Update, downloading and installing one update at a time.

One of these was the new video drivers: it "installed" the drivers, rebooted but clearly didn't install sucessfully: Windows (7 64) booted with a generic VGA adaptor, in a low resolution like 640x480. nVidia control panel was gone, and in display settings I could only take the resolution up to about 1280x760 rather than the native 1080p resolution normall supported.

I solved it by restoring my system to the most recent system restore point. Restored to original drivers with no problems. I then went to the ASUS website, and in the support section downloaded the most recent drivers for my model there. These installed without problems, although the icon for the nVidia PhysX (32-bit) seems to have gone in the control panel?? But the PhysX settings are still accessible in the nVidia control panel (not that I really have need for them at present) so all good.

There's clearly something fishy about the Asus Live Update software, and I recommend people only use it to be alerted to new updates, but then take themselves to the ASUS website and manually install them. I think ASUS needs to look at this software - for us reasonably proficient computer users, it's ok to deal with these problems occasionally, we can work our way round them; but for the average Joe-Schmoe user, who just forked out thousands for their high end machine, followed the official ASUS instructions, and suddenly finds their computer "ruined," it's not a great look for the company. An update should not be issued without careful testing, including of the install process.

Oh, and remember to set regular System Restore points - it really is a pretty useful system, thanks Windows!

Retired
Not applicable
The ALU has been working for weeks trying to download the updates. I had even helped by going to the ASUS site to get the updates myself only to get confused by the myriad of file names so I turned back. I decided to let the ALU finish downloading on its own and it finally made it! But then it started unpacking the files and rebooting and like someone else mentioned, my nvidia card wasn't detected anymore and the resolution was low. I also used system restore to reset everything but once again the ALU wants to download, unpack and mess everything up. I also wanted to complain about the lack of ROG gamer mouse software and the fact that I am not really comfortable going to the ASUS site to download and install things I don't really understand. I didn't think I was really this much of a noob but where the heck is the 24hr ASUS service now when I need it? Can anyone advise?

Retired
Not applicable
I had the same issue using the asus live update utility. I had to go to the asus website support and download the nvidia driver.

Drago13
Level 7
same issue here , used the auto update, afterwards my whole system was screwy, and like those above, no nvidia.. Luckily I was able to roll my system back to an earlier install. I paid over 2400.00 for my G73JW-ROG , I hope all these problems I am having and reading about get resolved soon...