cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max FPS using 2 GTX 680's in SLI using Afterburner and BF3 and other weirdness.

Take_it_Upstair
Level 7
Why cant I go above 200 FPS in BF3? No matter what setting I use, hit a brick wall at exactly 200 FPS, And the GPU power pulls back to about 65%.

Is this Normal to have a max 200 FPS Cap?
4 REPLIES 4

Menthol
Level 14
I think I seen the same thing in an online review and they were not sure if it was game related or not. Don't remember which review site I read so many, I'm still waiting for availability on the 680's, haven't been able to get any yet.

Menthol wrote:
I think I seen the same thing in an online review and they were not sure if it was game related or not. Don't remember which review site I read so many, I'm still waiting for availability on the 680's, haven't been able to get any yet.

I am really starting to think that our buddy "The Snake" Nvidia RIGGED the GTX 680 drivers besides disabling the PCIe 3.0 mode.
RIGGED as to make it "appear like" the Top Gun Graphics card in benchmarking against the "Honest" ATI 7970.

The reason I am suspecting this, because when was running 2 7970's in Crossfire, If you enabled every single 3d settings to override and to the max, in every benchmark, and game, you can see the difference AND get the FPS reductions accordingly with some benchmarks to almost a crawl. This is what you can expect with any typical graphics card.

But with the 680's in SLI, I am getting the opposite of what you would normally expect! With settings on Global Override and to the MAX, does absolutely nothing with graphics quality ( AFAIK Nothing close like to what the 7970 can do!) and the Big Kicker is, I get INCREASED FRAME RATES!

I am doing some more testing... with other combinations.. but whomever has access to one of these cards, or even both, it would be interesting to know about your own results.

DangerClose
Level 7
I believe the Frostbite 2 engine has a 200fps cap, I have reached it many times with my 3x7970s maxed out Ultra w/ morphological AA on. It will sit at 199 fps sometimes ticking at 200 but never go over.
*Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 3930K - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 - 2x Corsair Force GT 120GB SSDs - WD VelociRaptor 600GB Steam drive - 3x 7970 Tri-Fire !! - Corsair AX1200 PSU - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - H100 Cooler - Win7 x64 Ultimate :cool::cool::cool:

DangerClose wrote:
I believe the Frostbite 2 engine has a 200fps cap, I have reached it many times with my 3x7970s maxed out Ultra w/ morphological AA on. It will sit at 199 fps sometimes ticking at 200 but never go over.

Thank you for confirming this for me. When I Set the 680's to override and max settings, I did not see much of video quality difference and frame rate pullback as I did with 2, 7970's. I am now realizing this on several benchmark tests and with games. Unfortunately I no longer have the 7970's here for side by side comparisons, but it's really not necessary as the results are quite obvious... The 7970 offers far superior control range of graphics qualities that can meet a broad range of applications requirements than using a 680.

Question 4 you. Are you using watercooling on your 7970's, or air cooled?