cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver" on POST - Dark Hero

yosefm
Level 8
I set up my new Dark Hero build a few days ago, and I occasionally get this error on POST.

"The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver.
CSM (Compability Support Module) settings have been changed
For further adjustments, press [F1] to enter BIOS setup

The message only comes when the monitor has gone into deep sleep mode overnight and then I turn on the computer. It also seems to happen if I turn the PC/Monitor on in a certain way but I haven't really figured out how to trigger it exactly.

The monitor is an ASUS PG35VQ, connected via DisplayPort. There is also a Valve Index plugged in via HDMI.

My graphics card is a Nvidia 3080 Founder's Edition. I never saw this message on my Asus Maximus Hero VIII motherboard that I was using previously with CSM disasbled and the same graphics card.
29 REPLIES 29

polyh3dron
Level 9
This is interesting. I have a pretty similar setup; Dark Hero, 3090 Founders, Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ monitor and Valve Index, but I haven't gotten this error.

Are you still on the stock BIOS? If so, it's not very good and you should upgrade to the latest via BIOS flashback immediately. It could fix your issue.

raju2529
Level 7
yosefm,
at present disable secure boot , and disable uefi boot , enable csm modein bios .

if you see any additional settings related video card in bios , so adjust to take default setttings .

also try with another monitor or try with display port of monitor to video card
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

yosefm
Level 8
Thanks for the replies.

I am using BIOS 3103 at the moment, I think the problem also happened on 3003 as well but can't remember exactly.

Yes, enabling CSM solves the problem (and the motherboard enables that automatically when it finds this error) but I never had to do that with my previous motherboard. I noticed that in the BIOS in the VBIOS information section it says it does not detect a GPU in there. I'm pretty sure in the last motherboard there was some information available here.

RedSector73
Level 12
raju2529 wrote:
at present disable secure boot , and disable uefi boot , enable csm modein bios .

CSM should not be enabled with modern graphics cards such as the 30-series. Secure boot / UEFI should be enabled with CSM disabled on all graphics cards with UEFI boot.
The above post is poor advice that is straight up wrong.

yosefm
Level 8
Thanks RedSector, yes I don't think disabling CSM and Secure Boot is a solution. There isn't anything wrong with the graphics card, monitor or cable seeing as it all worked fine with the previous motherboard. Just seems to be a problem with the motherboard when the computer starts with the display in sleep mode.

its a fact ...disable csm and the error will go away! leave all other security features on, they are there for a reason ....csm is for old crap you dont even have on your pc ..garrentie it !!! ...holy crap i just seen how old this is ...lmao....well pretty sure every one knows this now..lol....

RedSector73
Level 12
Make sure you have the latest AMD chipset drivers onboard
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

contact1
Level 8
Do you have any HAL(12) error listed in the Windows System Event viewer ?

yosefm
Level 8
Thanks, latest chipset drivers from AMD are installed and no HAL(12) error in the Event Viewer as far as I can see.

I can produce it pretty reliably now:
1. Set monitor DisplayPort Deep Sleep and HDMI Deep Sleep both to On
2. Turn off computer
3. Wait for monitor to enter deep sleep - about five minutes (fans spin down)
4. Turn computer back on
5. Monitor then wakes up but waking up during POST causes the above error.
6. BIOS automatically enables CSM - I have to go into the BIOS and disable this and it all works fine.

I looked at the Q-Code on the motherboard when this happens and it is 02.

I'm using a VESA-certified cable between the monitor and the PC but not had the opportunity to test another yet.