cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII non-wifi, USB resets internal and external ports constant disconnects

Bizkitcan
Level 7
I am beginning to think I have a return board, the CPU did not have a shield on it when I got it from newegg.

I saw this on 2702 and now 3003 BIOS

PSU is: EVGA T2 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I had to fix the Corsiar ML120 fans RGB from constantly disconnecting via the commander pros by buying a NZXT internal v3 USB 2.0 hub.
I also have issues where I have keyboard, mouse, 2 web cams and an microphone and I have to play musical chairs between ports since the USB either kills one of the ports OR resets EVERYTHING.
I lose KBM, all cameras lights audio even, the whole thing blips. I have things plugged into the red USB ports and blue on the back, one USB C in the front header....

I even once got the windows message pop up that said 'Not enough USB controller resources' and that's after I added a powered USB hub to try to fix the disconnect/freezing issues.

I have NEVER seen this problem on any other computer, ever.

I went into device manager and turned off the ' windows can save power by turning off this device ' under the USB hubs.
It has RESET this back to CHECKED at least once already...

I started trying to use a really nice external powered USB 3.0 hub. same issues, I cant even put two cameras on the same massive powered hub that used to work great with 8 things connected to my MBP.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E5YNFIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

12 REPLIES 12

SmokeyKilla
Level 8
I assume you have checked windows device manager that allows it to turn off usb ports to conserve power? I would definitely be returning your board, and I think I see some space just below your GPU where you could fit a couple more fans............

Not enough USB controller resources
( If you use a lot of USB devices which are using a lot of EndPoints, you might see this error message because you’ve exceeded the available number of EndPoints. Keep in mind that USB 3.0 controllers have a limit of 96 Endpoints per controller on Intel XHCI controllers while AM4 controllers support 254 EndPoints.) If your usb hub is plugged into a 3 try moving it to a 2 or you can open a run dialog box type in "devmgmt.msc" and delete your usb controller. Restart your computer so it re installs your usb controller. You can also go into bios and disable xhci which turns all your 3.0 into 2 see if that helps.

One last thing unplug all your usb devices and add them one by one until the problem occurs , you could have a bad device that is backfeeding power into your USB to I2C module's 5V pin which could be overloading your 5v rail ( I have seen 12v and 24v devices applying high voltage to either of the data lines due to poor manufacturing or loose wires) and causing damage. (smoking keyboards etc).......

Oh and I just realised that the USB Power hub your using is infact not a power hub only 2 of the 9 ports provide power. The other 7 are for data only.

SmokeyKilla wrote:
I assume you have checked windows device manager that allows it to turn off usb ports to conserve power? I would definitely be returning your board, and I think I see some space just below your GPU where you could fit a couple more fans............

Not enough USB controller resources
( If you use a lot of USB devices which are using a lot of EndPoints, you might see this error message because you’ve exceeded the available number of EndPoints. Keep in mind that USB 3.0 controllers have a limit of 96 Endpoints per controller on Intel XHCI controllers while AM4 controllers support 254 EndPoints.) If your usb hub is plugged into a 3 try moving it to a 2 or you can open a run dialog box type in "devmgmt.msc" and delete your usb controller. Restart your computer so it re installs your usb controller. You can also go into bios and disable xhci which turns all your 3.0 into 2 see if that helps.

One last thing unplug all your usb devices and add them one by one until the problem occurs , you could have a bad device that is backfeeding power into your USB to I2C module's 5V pin which could be overloading your 5v rail ( I have seen 12v and 24v devices applying high voltage to either of the data lines due to poor manufacturing or loose wires) and causing damage. (smoking keyboards etc).......

Oh and I just realised that the USB Power hub your using is infact not a power hub only 2 of the 9 ports provide power. The other 7 are for data only.

Thank you for your time in replying to this!

I will investigate layer 1 further.

Good catch, I will plug the USB cameras into the ports with the power.

I have done the first thing, having windows NOT disable power already.

RedSector73
Level 12
Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers ?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

RedSector73 wrote:
Have you installed the latest AMD chipset drivers ?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Yes, I even re-installed them a few days after building the PC and reloading them again... just in case. I had them in my DL folder already.

RedSector73
Level 12

RedSector73 wrote:
ok see if this helps
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-not-enough-usb-controller-resources-error-on-windows-10
^this one seems most applicable to your problem
https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/how-to-fix-not-enough-usb-controller-resources-on-windows-10/
^this seems unlikely to be helpful but worth the read.

Thanks!

So from the breakout of x570 and CPU, I should distribute the connections... or see if its the x570 or the CPU ports that are pooping the bed?

RedSector73
Level 12
yeah - bit of everything thinking. See if ports matter x570 or chipset and see if lower gen ports work and try to find device(s) triggering the issue (put them on lower gen ports if possible).

change PCI-E from auto to gen 3 and let me know if that resolved your issue

Funtik wrote:
change PCI-E from auto to gen 3 and let me know if that resolved your issue

Would that not tank my SSD performance and also mess with video card ?