cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q code 0D very intermittant

primeshooter
Level 10
Weirdly got this issue, say 1 in 10 boots fails with this code (or another pertaining to RAM, forget the number). If I get the code I simply push reset and it boots fine the next time.

I am running G skill 3600 RAM (128GB - 32GBx4)
Asus Strix x570 E gaming board
Ryzen 3900x 12 core
M2 samsung for op system and about 7 mech drives

Issue has only started happening (had PC good few months now). What is going on here? The amount I've spent on this, I expect a perfect flawless boot every time, not a push it and see approach!
13 REPLIES 13

RedSector73
Level 12
What is the cooling being used on the CPU ?

RedSector73 wrote:
What is the cooling being used on the CPU ?

Wraith Prism, sits circa 43 degrees unloaded. I am using a large decent airflow darkbase pro 900 case. I seen your thread where you questioned if the install, I checked all this. I'm sure I've had an 8D I think it is too (whatever the other RAM code is). Let me be clear this doesn't happen often at all...but it's super annoying. I am also filling all the RAM slots so it's not that either.

RedSector73
Level 12
Yeah, reason I ask is that can overtighten some AIO's on there and triggers 0d. Base on information to date, could try manual SOC voltage rather than auto. Valid manual settings would be 0.95v* (*this may be too low) 1.05v 1.1v 1.125v and see if the issue presists. The latest BIOS I have on CH8 is first I can use auto SOC Value on with 4xRAM (32gb) CL14 DDR4 3800 1:1 IF 1900.

RedSector73 wrote:
Yeah, reason I ask is that can overtighten some AIO's on there and triggers 0d. Base on information to date, could try manual SOC voltage rather than auto. Valid manual settings would be 0.95v* (*this may be too low) 1.05v 1.1v 1.125v and see if the issue presists. The latest BIOS I have on CH8 is first I can use auto SOC Value on with 4xRAM (32gb) CL14 DDR4 3800 1:1 IF 1900.

I am not great with this stuff...just to be clear I am not overclocking - pure stock settings. Which voltage do you recommend me trialing first? And where do I input this, RAM settings in the bios? Just the SOC setting?

RedSector73
Level 12
SOC Voltage (this is the memory controller voltage) more like tweaking than OC, just giving the RAM controller, a little more to handle your RAM @ DOCP settings. This may stop the odd '0d' your seeing.

It is part of CPU settings in Ai Tweaker (not in with RAM settings). You can before trying get ZEN Timings which will give you what the AUTO setting is currently. https://zentimings.protonrom.com/

Should be in
Ai Tweaker -> VDDCR SOC Voltage

Can I ask what is model number of the G.skill RAM your using ?

RedSector73 wrote:
SOC Voltage (this is the memory controller voltage) more like tweaking than OC, just giving the RAM controller, a little more to handle your RAM @ DOCP settings. This may stop the odd '0d' your seeing.

It is part of CPU settings in Ai Tweaker (not in with RAM settings). You can before trying get ZEN Timings which will give you what the AUTO setting is currently. https://zentimings.protonrom.com/

Should be in
Ai Tweaker -> VDDCR SOC Voltage

Can I ask what is model number of the G.skill RAM your using ?

Will try this tomorrow and report back. Don't have exact model no right now but will check tomorrow. It's this stuff - https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SKILL-F4-AG-SKILL-F4-3600C17D-16GTZR-Trident-Channel/dp/B01N5OCJQT/ref=as... but x4 32GB sticks. Has been solid apart from this only recent random issue.

PS could a voltage setting damage the RAM? Which should I start with when taking it off auto?

RedSector73
Level 12
SOC voltage would be around 1.2v or higher (which is not recommended or needed) would have risk.

The is within your CPU not your RAM. It can't damage the RAM and extremely low risk for CPU as not enter high voltage just moving from AUTO to set voltage. You should use the information from ZEN timings to get the baseline voltage (being set in AUTO) and adjust just a fraction higher and then see how it goes. I have given you some common settings for the SOC voltage which tend to work and may help avoid '0d' Q code.

Did you use two kits of 2xRAM or one 4xRAM kit when building this system ?

RedSector73 wrote:
SOC voltage would be around 1.2v or higher (which is not recommended or needed) would have risk.

The is within your CPU not your RAM. It can't damage the RAM and extremely low risk for CPU as not enter high voltage just moving from AUTO to set voltage. You should use the information from ZEN timings to get the baseline voltage (being set in AUTO) and adjust just a fraction higher and then see how it goes. I have given you some common settings for the SOC voltage which tend to work and may help avoid '0d' Q code.

Did you use two kits of 2xRAM or one 4xRAM kit when building this system ?

4 x 32 GB sticks. See I am really weary of adjuisting that. I played with that before because online I read that Ryzen's stock voltage was too high and screwed up the system booting for hours til I let it sit for an hour and reboot. Ryzen in stock settings constantly adjusts it's voltage and they said I should just leave it as is. I have heard this can be an issue with display port (it's on this forum, sounds random but thought I'd mention it). My monitor is connected this way.

primeshooter wrote:
4 x 32 GB sticks. See I am really weary of adjuisting that. I played with that before because online I read that Ryzen's stock voltage was too high and screwed up the system booting for hours til I let it sit for an hour and reboot. Ryzen in stock settings constantly adjusts it's voltage and they said I should just leave it as is. I have heard this can be an issue with display port (it's on this forum, sounds random but thought I'd mention it). My monitor is connected this way.

You do whatever you think is best. Stock voltage was never too high and whoever your quoting, well handsome is as hadsome does.

Goodluck.