cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switched from 8700k to 9900k serious issues now

morpwr
Level 7
I thought this would be a simple swap but noooo. Maximus x hero with latest bios that worked perfect before the switch to the 9900k. Now any time i try to use xmp i get constant random freezes,crashes and errors with bsod. I ran the built in memory test in windows and got errors but i cant believe it worked fine yesterday and now it wont. Without xmp it passes the memory test in ixtu and no problems. Anybody have any ideas on this? I did take the memory sticks out and reinstall them just to make sure.

I havent touched the cpu yet its at stock settings.
7 REPLIES 7

RedSector73
Level 12
Did you update the BIOS to at least 2003 ?

RedSector73 wrote:
Did you update the BIOS to at least 2003 ?

YES Latest bios.

morpwr wrote:
YES Latest bios.

Try jumping back to an older bio's back around the 9900K was announced.

Ram should be 1.35V
Lian Li 011 Dynamic White Case
Intel Core i9 Coffee lake 9900K @ 5.1GHz
ASUS STRIX Z390-E LGA 1151
Corsair DDR4 Corsair Dominator 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CAS 18
EVGA nVidia RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA 10GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 PSU
1x 512GB SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD
2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
1x WD BLACK 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA Hard Drive (6.0Gb/s)

MacClipper
Level 7
XMP = overclocking the IMC, check the volts there.

A Mind Forever Voyaging... Across The Universe

MacClipper wrote:
XMP = overclocking the IMC, check the volts there.

Not sure what you mean by that. Ive built 3 pcs and never ran into this before with the memory not working with xmp.

emindedf0
Level 7
morpwr wrote:
I thought this would be a simple swap but noooo. Maximus x hero with latest bios that worked perfect before the switch to the 9900k. Now any time i try to use xmp i get constant random freezes,crashes and errors with bsod. I ran the built in memory test in windows and got errors but i cant believe it worked fine yesterday and now it wont. Without xmp it passes the memory test in ixtu and no problems. Anybody have any ideas on this? I did take the memory sticks out and reinstall them just to make sure.

did you reset CMOS after the CPU swap? also when you enable XMP, what are your voltages set at auto? usually there very high what kit are you using? how high Freq Ram? sometimes too much VCCIO and VCCSA it crashes. also DMI voltage plays a role in memory stability to. send a pic of the HWinfo Screen, or install DIPS5 and check your voltages for VCCIO and VCCSA

morpwr
Level 7
Yes i reset the CMOS. Im using Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gb 4x8 cmd32gx4m4b3866c18. What should the voltages be at? Honestly ive always just used xmp and it worked up until now so i really have no idea what they should be. I have a fresh install of windows now to because stuff was corrupted so i know thats not an issue any more. Ive since ordered some Gskill ram because im starting to wonder if the ram was going. There are a few of us that have instant crashes in Project Cars 3 with vr that nobody can figure out including the devs so maybe the ram was causing the issue?