cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G731GW issue with Power Adapter PIN getting extremely hot.

volors
Level 8
Hi Guys

This is my 4th ROG laptop and cant believe this could happen to a 1+ year old laptop which is taken care of like a baby.
All my other laptops worked 3+ years flawless.

I am having an issue with my laptop as when i am gaming the power adapter Pin gets extremely hot and starts giving me message of unplugged/plugged.
If i am using it for just browsing internet, Netflix or lighter work its working ok, the pin isn't getting hot at all.
So it seems the adapter is not working at 19.5V all the time, seems like these are smart adapters only provide power as needed.

I am using this laptop from 1 year and there were no issue until ( i am not sure if this is related ) armory crate upgraded the ASUS System Control Interface V2 Version to V2.2.33.20 to the latest 2 weeks ago.
I have tried downgrading the software no change , reinstalled whole OS no change, downgraded the BIOS to 307 no change.

I use it very carefully and keep it clean, before making this post i searched and already checked the adapter port, there doesn't seems to be any obstruction inside the port or the adapter pin.
But i noticed that the internal metal casing of the power pin have a ring of round degrading metal.
MyAsus app does not show any errors for anything.
I don't have an extra adapter to test it.
Checked the heatsinks , they are super clean , the CPU and GPU temperature doesn't go beyond 80 C when gaming, but the hot air coming out while playing is something you can feel.

Now my question is, could it be the adapter as may be its not able to provide the voltage required when gaming ( but if so why its getting super hot )
-or-
the port because of which its getting extremely hot due to some degradation overtime ( or did it happened because of over voltage because of faulty adapter).
-but-
if i think its the port why it is not getting hot when in normal use.

Also i thought may the adapter pin could be short circuiting in itself, but if i only plug in to a power plug it should get hot because of short circuit but it is not.

Any pointer i can try?

The asus service centre is closed due to COVID, not sure when it opening.
And my warranty for one year expired in August.

Also are the below voltages in attachment correct for My laptop. Should it be 15.6V or 19.5V as marked on adapter.
Can anyone post there HWinfo is some have same laptop.
22 REPLIES 22

RedSector73
Level 12
I would try changing the actual power plug cord used between the main supply to the brick adaptor and see if this stops the problem or changes it. You could have faulty power brick rather than issue with laptop itself.

The other cause could be the battery itself having high resistance to charge input which would be fault and might show as it not holding charge or draining too quickly or just as a high resistance (which your feeling as heat)

And chicken n egg issue. Power supply in or battery can cause the other to become defective making both a problem in the end.

Just some ideas. Hope you find this helpful.

RedSector73 wrote:
I would try changing the actual power plug cord used between the main supply to the brick adaptor and see if this stops the problem or changes it. You could have faulty power brick rather than issue with laptop itself.

The other cause could be the battery itself having high resistance to charge input which would be fault and might show as it not holding charge or draining too quickly or just as a high resistance (which your feeling as heat)

And chicken n egg issue. Power supply in or battery can cause the other to become defective making both a problem in the end.

I would try that today, also i have another question below.

If i want to test my adapter with the multimeter what voltage should it read.

I just read some where else that Most high current laptop plugs use the outside of the cylindrical sleeve for -ve and the inside of the same sleeve for +ve. The center pin is then usually used for IR compensation, or authentication. Is this correct for ASUS adapters?

RedSector73 wrote:

So i tried changing the power cord and still it was getting hot.
And after that i removed the battery from the laptop and just ran it on power adapter still running hot while gaming.

after that its running from 2 hours just playing a YouTube video and its working normal.

Its only getting extremely hot while under load i.e gaming.

RedSector73
Level 12
You just did some good investigation into the issue. The output voltage should be as marked on the power brick.
Can you quantify hot, above 50-55 degrees and wont be able to touch it for long below can feel hot but you can continue to hold it or you typically wash your hands in hot water it would be between 35°C to 45°C.

RedSector73 wrote:
You just did some good investigation into the issue. The output voltage should be as marked on the power brick.
Can you quantify hot, above 50-55 degrees and wont be able to touch it for long below can feel hot but you can continue to hold it or you typically wash your hands in hot water it would be between 35°C to 45°C.

Ok, so i checked it with multimeter and the voltage is exactly 19.89V which seems to be fine.

Hot means burning hot like 90C , i cant touch it more then 1 sec or i will burn my fingers.

Now if its not the adapter, my other question is could it be that the contact of the inner positive ring to the points in Laptop charging port is not good.

Is it possible the contact point (+ve metal) in Laptop charging port have degraded in 1 year time and is not able to sustain the load while gaming and it heats up ( just like we cant run more load on thin wires).

Blake1
Level 10
Hello volors,
Please kindly send bot the device and the adapter to our service center.
We can do some cross check and further examination on the hardware on it.
Thank you very much.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello volors,
Please kindly send bot the device and the adapter to our service center.
We can do some cross check and further examination on the hardware on it.
Thank you very much.

Sorry didn't updated the thread earlier.

After trying everything, as I was on the verge of changing the charging port, as nothing was making sense.
I thought why not order a charger first and see. As anyway the port couldn't be delivered faster then a month as its coming from china.
Charger was showing the voltage correct under no load but under load it was heating up the charging PIN.
And that was it.
Ordered a new charger from Asus estore and its working fine right now.

So MyASUS app had a check adapter option, but not sure what are its capabilities.
But charger failing in a Year which is basically lying in one place not moved and cables are perfect, looks like a quality control issue.
I could dig deeper by changing the cable itself on the charger but i couldn't find the cable anywhere.
But the charger doesn't seems to be swollen or any signs of wear and tear or any smell of burning a component.

Thank you

volors wrote:
Sorry didn't updated the thread earlier.

After trying everything, as I was on the verge of changing the charging port, as nothing was making sense.
I thought why not order a charger first and see. As anyway the port couldn't be delivered faster then a month as its coming from china.
Charger was showing the voltage correct under no load but under load it was heating up the charging PIN.
And that was it.
Ordered a new charger from Asus estore and its working fine right now.

So MyASUS app had a check adapter option, but not sure what are its capabilities.
But charger failing in a Year which is basically lying in one place not moved and cables are perfect, looks like a quality control issue.
I could dig deeper by changing the cable itself on the charger but i couldn't find the cable anywhere.
But the charger doesn't seems to be swollen or any signs of wear and tear or any smell of burning a component.

Thank you

I am also facing exactly same issue with strix hero 3. The problem is that the charging pin has some plastic on the very top of it, it melts when we are playing games and stuff, hence the loose connection. I fixed it by changing the charger (It was loose even when doing normal stuff which won't overheat laptop and the charger pin). Now same issue is coming with new charger, it is so frustrating. I always use cooler whenever I am using laptop and still I got this issue. Now I am waiting for 230W pd chargers to come into market cause they don't have that plastic thing on top of them, till then I am just adjusting my pin (Not helpful at all, but you gotta do things like this )

for 20 months of use, the power adapter failed, under the guarantee they did not change referring to the bent wire. In another service, the adapter was checked and failed, the cable was in order