cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS B450 F Gaming

BillInCentralNY
Level 7
Hi, Everyone:

I just did a (failed) BIOS update. I updated from 3003 to 4007 - and when I reboot, now it says the BIOS isn't fully ACPI compliant. "Not a problem", I say, "I'm prepared for this", so I pop in my "emergency" USB drive with the 3003 BIOS (which is how I loaded it originally) and proceed to downgrade... only EZ Flash says it's not a proper BIOS file! In fact, anything less than 4000 will no longer load. I tried the beta 4101 an it updated, but I have the same issue. And, of course, it won't downgrade to anything older than 4xxx.

I guess I'm screwed, but I'll ask the long-shot question:
Anyone have any ideas?

I thought I had all the bases covered, but I wasn't expecting not to be able to go back to the old BIOS, so now what?

Thanks for listening.

Bill

I was always hesitant with this board because there is no "fallback" BIOS baked onto a chip, but I figured the "Crash-proof BIOS" feature meant that I could restore a previous version of the BIOS from disk if I needed to. I guess this is not the case.
Edit:
Forgot to mention that I did reset everything to default by doing F5.
7 REPLIES 7

BillInCentralNY
Level 7
Do you think it's worth it to turn off the power in the middle of a 4xxx update and force a corrupt BIOS so it will read the BIOS from the USB stick with the Crash-proof BIOS thingy? That sounds frightening to me.

RedSector73
Level 12
ammm anyone feel free to correct me if wrong, but isn't B450 upgrade for Ryzen 5000 series a one way trip, you can't downgrade once it is done or at least that is what I have read since it was included after AMD initially said no ?

So anyway, I went and bought a new (identical) motherboard ASAP, the theory being that the sooner I buy the MoBo, the more likely it will NOT have the 4xxx BIOS on it, since it only came out last month. It will, in all likelihood, have the 3103 BIOS, which will probably be okay; depending on how long they had it in stock, I might even get one with the BIOS known to have worked with my setup.

I figured it was useless to go to ASUS support, because - in the unlikely event they agreed to ship out a MoBo, it would have the latest BIOS on it, which wouldn't help me at all.

RedSector73
Level 12
If I was buying a new motherboard for Ryzen 5000 and use case is gaming. B550 would be my choice, better everything (VRM's, PCB layers/layout, USB, NIC's, etc) over B450 and if cost mattered more go to A520 over B450.

Unless the new B450 refresh from Asus shows up, in which case might relook at them.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-refreshes-b450-motherboards-for-upcoming-amd-ryzen-5000-cpus

For now, I just want to get back to a configuration that works. (Not that this is guaranteed to work.) But if it was a new build, then yes.

Just to wrap this up:
MoBo came, installed, the world is right again. 😉

Thanks for your response, RedSector73, as well as your suggestions. 🙂

Had the same problem exactly and had to do the same solution, buying new B450 MB...
But now 4204 BIOS is released. Maybe someone tried it already and Windows 7 loads fine?