cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help finding a college friendly alternative to G series

imphamm
Level 7
Hello I am about to be a college freshman and so I am currently looking to buy a new laptop. At first I was interested in getting a G74 series laptop, however deemed it far too unwieldy to be lugging it around campus all day long.

So I wanted to know what comes closest to the performance of the G74, without the bulky unwieldiness that it carries. That doesn't mean however that I want the thinnest and lightest laptop, I just want something that can fit in a bag but is still a powerhorse of a laptop and can run games without much concern.

I prefer larger screens but it isn't a priority so long as it is a nice one. Battery life is important too, but most of the tasks I'll be doing unplugged will most likely not eat much battery life.

Price isn't much of an issue at this point since this laptop will have to last me for at the very least 4 years.

Thank you! If there is anything else you need to know about me please ask, and thank you again for helping.
2 REPLIES 2

JAYuill
Level 7
Could look at other Asus laptops like is VX7 available. Main concern is battery, I had a top end IBM business laptop (T60) with loads of bells and whistles and battery drain was a pain. Couldn't get more than 2 hours running engineering software off battery. 7 years down line with great battery care can still get 2 hours out it however only thing wrong is fingerprint biometric reader is dead.

Consider the N-series, they will run games at adequate resolutions. They aren't as powerful as the the G-series, but they are still good computers, and more portable than the G74/G75. Alternately, look at the new G55, I hear that it's non-gaming battery life is quite good, and it is more portable than the G53SX, which turns in 4 hours of light use. The G55 is slimmer, so while heavy, it shouldn't be too much of a pain to carry around a college campus. Just make sure to get large backpack, as they are easier to schlep around than a shoulder bag.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23