cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero SSD Issue

GeriatricTech
Level 7
Have the Crosshair VIII Hero and have been running fine for a year. I'm currently running 2 nvme's and I am adding a Crucial MX500 as an additional SSD. When I plug in the SSD to any of the SATA ports I can't boot into the bios or windows. It hangs at the boot screen when it prompts for f1/del. Unplug the ssd and it boots fine.

I have tried everything I can in the bios. I even updated the BIOS. Exact Same behavior.

Since I am using 2 nvme's is there something I have to do to get a sata ssd to work?

Been building systems for a long time but maybe I am missing something simple.

UPDATE: I had to load optimized defaults for it to see the drive. If I turn advanced tuning back on it loses the drive. If I use the EZ tuning wizard it does still see the drive. What a buggy mess.
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12
GeriatricTech wrote:
I am adding a Crucial MX500 as an additional SSD. What a buggy mess.

The problem is the SSD, go looking in there forum for an answer. See if the firmware etc is up to date.
https://eu.crucial.com/support/ssd-support/mx500-support

try another sata cable.

I read something identical to this issue, and was the SSD but I cant find the information again.

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the Storage Executive software from Crucial. It's sees the drive but shows a firmware error and when I click that it loses the drive. I'm using a new sata cable.

I am considering taking this SSD back. I am seeing a ton of complaints about it.

RedSector73
Level 12
Yeah, same, there is a lot of posts with issues. If you have spare NVMe m2 slot use them, Kingston A2000 is a cheap pocket rocket.

Edit: (you appear full)
Have to say, Samsung for SSD.

Avoid any SSD with grey power/sata port connectors over time found they go brittle 'grey bit' and can break off without much effort.

or

get M2 PCIe riser card and go Kingston A2000

RedSector73 wrote:
Yeah, same, there is a lot of posts with issues. If you have spare NVMe m2 slot use them, Kingston A2000 is a cheap pocket rocket.

Edit: (you appear full)
Have to say, Samsung for SSD.

Avoid any SSD with grey power/sata port connectors over time found they go brittle 'grey bit' and can break off without much effort.

or

get M2 PCIe riser card and go Kingston A2000

Interesting info about the grey connectors