cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird fan issues? Strix 3090 White Edition

12hoken
Level 7
HI All - is this normal behavior for our cards?

The fans will ramp up to high RPMs loudly for 13-14 seconds...
1-On every boot or reboot
2-upon wake up from sleep
3-Light usage (web browsing while watching youtube). I do see some power spikes 130/140w during casual web browsing, but temps are around 34C
Also, GPUTweak Monitor/GPUid only shows middle fan RPMs, left and right fans always shows zero even though they are spinning at high RPMs.

Any game will cause the fans to quickly ramp up to extremely high/loud RPMs, doesn't matter if the BIOS or GPU Tweak are on silent/quiet.
Temps are around 54C when it does this. The card seems to ignore any fan curve i set.

Do all Strix 3090 behave this way right now? Curious to know as I traded out my Gigabyte Vision 3090 which was quiet and ran cool under every game i played.

Troubleshooting I've done -
Reinstall of drivers.
Reseat Card in PCI slot and ensure power cables are attached.
Power Management in Windows/Nvidia Control panel are not set to High/Extreme.
Tried GPU Tweak silent mode and Bios to quiet (card runs no different from performance)
Finally a complete format, reinstall of windows... as soon as the Nvidia drivers are installed the fans go crazy again.

Is it time for a RMA or any other suggestions?
30 REPLIES 30

12hoken
Level 7
well after a couple of emails and a phone call to Asus Tech support we've determine an RMA is needed to figure out the issue. Sucks to only have the card for a few days, but will be nice to not sit next to a tornado when it gets back haha! Wish me luck!

It does makes me wonder .... of what the 144 hours ASUS validating test at the factory this is useful for?

This should be a task minimizing percentage of RMA.

you werent able to get the card to obey a custom curve in latest version of afterburner? I can control my fans with afterburner easily, even forcing them to shut off entirely even under load if I wanted to. If your card was ignoring all of this then I suppose something was indeed wrong.

KMagic wrote:
you werent able to get the card to obey a custom curve in latest version of afterburner? I can control my fans with afterburner easily, even forcing them to shut off entirely even under load if I wanted to. If your card was ignoring all of this then I suppose something was indeed wrong.

Middle fan could be controlled and RPMs would show up on monitoring software. However left & right fans would only spin up at what I assume to be max RPM (based on noise), but wouldn't show any rpm or % in any monitoring software nor could I slow them down.

So L&R fans were either off or max, no middle ground ever, and even casual web browsing would fire up with fans even with silent/qmode enabled.

12hoken wrote:
Middle fan could be controlled and RPMs would show up on monitoring software. However left & right fans would only spin up at what I assume to be max RPM (based on noise), but wouldn't show any rpm or % in any monitoring software nor could I slow them down.

So L&R fans were either off or max, no middle ground ever, and even casual web browsing would fire up with fans even with silent/qmode enabled.

did you update to the latest bios released recently ? Definitely odd behavior. I had some weird issues with my fans after I installed asus gpu tweak. I cant remember what the issue was now for the life of me. I remember messing with it for an hour or so and decided to just uninstall gpu tweak and continue using my preferred MSI Afterburner. The issue I had was not what you describe though. I have a strix 3090 (not white). I do remember I had to turn the pc off, turn the PSU off, hit power button a couple times (to drain all power from board) then power the pc back up, in order for the fans to return to normal operation after I uninstalled gpu tweak.

KMagic wrote:
did you update to the latest bios released recently ? Definitely odd behavior. I had some weird issues with my fans after I installed asus gpu tweak. I cant remember what the issue was now for the life of me. I remember messing with it for an hour or so and decided to just uninstall gpu tweak and continue using my preferred MSI Afterburner. The issue I had was not what you describe though. I have a strix 3090 (not white). I do remember I had to turn the pc off, turn the PSU off, hit power button a couple times (to drain all power from board) then power the pc back up, in order for the fans to return to normal operation after I uninstalled gpu tweak.

During my email exchange and phone call to Asus their techs had me do as you suggested with the power supply. I also tried different pcie slots just in case. With tweak installed or uninstalled the behavior was still the same.

Couldn't update the bios to V2, got a message that said something like ...Your Bios No Need To Update.

After a format and reinstall of windows the card acted ok by not ramping up the fans. But as soon as I installed the geforce drivers the fans would instantly max out, even though nothing else was going on ( no gaming, browsing, etc.....)

My rma should arrive to Asus tomorrow, will be interesting to see what they think and how long it takes to resolve.

12hoken wrote:
During my email exchange and phone call to Asus their techs had me do as you suggested with the power supply. I also tried different pcie slots just in case. With tweak installed or uninstalled the behavior was still the same.

Couldn't update the bios to V2, got a message that said something like ...Your Bios No Need To Update.

After a format and reinstall of windows the card acted ok by not ramping up the fans. But as soon as I installed the geforce drivers the fans would instantly max out, even though nothing else was going on ( no gaming, browsing, etc.....)

My rma should arrive to Asus tomorrow, will be interesting to see what they think and how long it takes to resolve.

Fnas shoot to 100% for no reason? what was the temperatures at that time? were you able to control fans with afterburner? I can force software control of the fans and take full control of them in afterburner. Asus GPU Tweak allows this as well of course but its just too buggy to me. I guess it hardly matters now as youve already sent the card off. I woulda hate to have to rma a card over a fan issue. Just a shame really. Hope they get it sorted for you....these cards are not cheap.

I finally decided to disable software fan control and now just letting the fan use its own default curve and I find it works just fine, now that i moved my system to a new case that has fantastic air flow. At 108% power limit the card sits at 67/68 c full load. (Hitting around 420w power draw) I find that 105-110% power limit is the sweet spot for the card where you hit 2k ghz+ speeds in many games without needlessly driving up temperatures. 123% power limit adds little improvement in performance but drives temperatures up a lot. Just not worth

KMagic wrote:
Fnas shoot to 100% for no reason? what was the temperatures at that time? were you able to control fans with afterburner? I can force software control of the fans and take full control of them in afterburner. Asus GPU Tweak allows this as well of course but its just too buggy to me. I guess it hardly matters now as youve already sent the card off. I woulda hate to have to rma a card over a fan issue. Just a shame really. Hope they get it sorted for you....these cards are not cheap.

I finally decided to disable software fan control and now just letting the fan use its own default curve and I find it works just fine, now that i moved my system to a new case that has fantastic air flow. At 108% power limit the card sits at 67/68 c full load. (Hitting around 420w power draw) I find that 105-110% power limit is the sweet spot for the card where you hit 2k ghz+ speeds in many games without needlessly driving up temperatures. 123% power limit adds little improvement in performance but drives temperatures up a lot. Just not worth

Temps were always around 34C-40C when the fans would ramp up randomly. From the monitoring i did it seemed to be voltage going above 40-50w that triggered the fans. I didn't have much luck with Afterburner/Tweak controlling or dialing down the fans on either bios mode unfortunately. I didn't even try overclocking as the fans would max out so randomly and loudly.

I really really (reeealllyyyy) didn't want to RMA the card but two things sealed that decision for me.
1-My wife, who works in the same office asking why is my computer so loud all the time and when will it stop.
2- Putting my gigabye Vision 3090 back in and not experiencing any of the same issues at all. Wish i didnt sell the Vision so quick, at least my PC would be up and running while Asus figures out the RMA.

Well my RMA arrived to Asus Thursday 1/14. Today i finally got an email from their repair office stating my card is undergoing diagnostic testing, but could face delays due to Covid.
Hopefully it's just something simple like a bios or fan controller, something tells me extra white 3090s aren't just laying around.