New ROGer Array

Cpu always at max speed even on idle on rog b460-h gaming mobo

Hi, I'm new to ROG products so I'm asking for help. I recently made a medium build with rog strix b460-h gaming motherboard and i5 10400 cpu. I'm asking for your help because the cpu frequency is stuck 4.0 ghz on all cores even in idle. This is not a windows power plan issue because the same behaviour happens on other OS, so i think is bios settings related.
    I've already enabled speed shift, c-states and set cpu core voltage to auto (adaptive is not available) because I'm not very familiar with voltage settings. On auto, cpu voltage always stays around 1v, even if I set on 0.870, which is also the value on auto setting.
    On my previous build I used i5 8400 and asrock z370 and cpu frequency always went up and down from 0.8 to 4 ghz when necessary, so I can't understand why now I'm always running on max speed.

Thank you for your help.

ROG Member Array

In bios, check to make sure speedstep is on. Also there should be like a cpu performance setting that can be auto/power savings/ max performance. Make sure it's on auto or power savings.

New ROGer Array

Download and install the ME Tool updater (management engine) from your motherboard support page
    also check windows update for Optional Updates, on the same screen as normal updates, but use the drop down text
    Then run the ME tool again perhaps. Reboot.
    Use the Armory Crate to check for more updates after, compare the versions before installing

Fixed it for me, use Balanced for 24/7 , and power save when you are afk or something. should make the voltage behavior return to normal
    Sometimes the voltage behavior takes 2-3 mins at idle to clock down recently but its normal today Lol..
    Last edited by Steveo_; 02-05-2021 at 09:32 AM.