cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking in Bios won't stay when booting Win.

Chromo
Level 7
CPU: i9 10850k
MB: Asus ROG Strix z490f
Cooling: Corsair H115i Platinum
PSU: Corsair RM850x
RAM: Corsair Vengence 3200mhz

When trying to overclock my settings is not applied in windows.

I use Intel XTU for monitoring and it's all at default when i get logged in.

I did try to OC with XTU and it was working well. 5ghz on all cores stable and below 90c when running Prime95.

I have updated to the latest bios. v.1003.

All is working well otherwise.

Anyone have a clue about what could be the issue?
7 REPLIES 7

Chromo
Level 7
I have been searching.

Could it be a boot up setting?

I have CSM enabled and it boots up fine.

It's just like the settings i Bios is not saved or read by windows.

If i get back to bios, the settings are saved in Bios but not read by windows.

If this can be the case, what settings should i use?

The only thing that comes to mind on this is do you have software installed for the motherboard? Do you have software that overclocks from windows that is overriding the bios once windows loads ? Have you tried booting into safe mode and seeing if the system has the overclocks from the bios? I would check that. If safe mode overclocks and windows normal does not, then you have some software launching at startup that is overriding overclock settings.

Thank you for your reply.

I booted in fail safe mode, everything was still at default BIOS settings.

I did look at software installed from Asus, what i could find was Armory Crate, not sure that could be the cause?

I have also discovered that my CPU is under performing.

When running 3dmark my result OC to 5GHZ with XTU is about 2000 lower than similar system.

Support from 3dmark looked at my results, both at default and OC.

My CPU is definitely under performing, not only are my settings not saved in win from BIOS, CPU is not as fast as it should be.

Something is not right. I really have no clue.

sectionate
Level 12
your overclocking software is the problem
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

Thanks for your input.

It was the same result when XTU was not intsalled.

I don't think it's the problem, must be something else.

Also XTU needs to be manually acitvated.

When i monitor my CPU it never uses turbo mode from what i can see. It is activated in BIOS. is that normal? Have not been like that on other CPUS i had.

Still cant figure out why my BIOS changes is not applied when booting to windows, if i get back to BIOS they are saved in BIOS, but not in windows. They are all at default settings.

I use XTU to monitor my settings.