cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from XR5000 to Asus AX11000 or RT-AX86U...feedback please

shaolin95
Level 8
Hi!
I am upgrading from the Netgear XR500...
So I mostly do CSGO but not a LOT just short DM sessions. Aside from that I do movie download/streaming.
My main PC is wired and my downstairs server with movies is connected through a Netgear "gaming" switch, My HTPC downstairs is connected to that same switch and it important to get perfect streaming to that PC from the server.
Just wondering if the AX11000 is still a better choice over the newer RT-AX86U.
As far as Wifi..I got my bedroom tv, Arlo, Wyze cameras, phones, printer, laptop, tablet, Quest 2 and that should be about it.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

micdoom
Level 7
Mixed feeling so far , i did the same thing 3 days ago and I still don't have a firm answer , The new Asus router is the GT AX 1100 , here is what found so far , it seems that this router have a better 2.4 coverage for my home , the new router however have less rang on the 5 GHZ network ( both networks ) , latency is about the same but rang is my issue , my phone and WIFI anlizer seems to indicate less rang at 3 to 4 bars around the house , no issues while gaming , all my connected devices at home preformed better with this router over 35 devices no issue with connectivity , I got mine from Amazon ( you must update the firmware , your router will not auto find the update you need to go to ASUS website and download it and upload it to the router ,

micdoom wrote:
Mixed feeling so far , i did the same thing 3 days ago and I still don't have a firm answer , The new Asus router is the GT AX 1100 , here is what found so far , it seems that this router have a better 2.4 coverage for my home , the new router however have less rang on the 5 GHZ network ( both networks ) , latency is about the same but rang is my issue , my phone and WIFI anlizer seems to indicate less rang at 3 to 4 bars around the house , no issues while gaming , all my connected devices at home preformed better with this router over 35 devices no issue with connectivity , I got mine from Amazon ( you must update the firmware , your router will not auto find the update you need to go to ASUS website and download it and upload it to the router ,

Bummer as I got feedback yesterday from another user that moved from the xr500 and he couldnt be happier 😕

shaolin95
Level 8
Well so far I am VERY impressed with the upgrade.

@shaolin95 Did you get the Rapture GT-AX11000, if so, any issues? I purchased mine back in November and have had some issues with WiFi6 enabled. Seems some of our devices do not like that signal as they will randomly lose connection, even though I thought it was backwards compatible. I had to turn WiFi6 off for the time being. But just noticed there is a new firmware that dropped today, so maybe that will help?

dhunter wrote:
@shaolin95 Did you get the Rapture GT-AX11000, if so, any issues? I purchased mine back in November and have had some issues with WiFi6 enabled. Seems some of our devices do not like that signal as they will randomly lose connection, even though I thought it was backwards compatible. I had to turn WiFi6 off for the time being. But just noticed there is a new firmware that dropped today, so maybe that will help?

Hello, not a single issue so far and pretty much the only device I got compatible with Wifi 6 is Quest 2 yet I am not finding any issues with any device.
Really loving this router. The worst spot in my house with my XR500 I was getting barely 30Mb with my phone and now I get about 300Mb on the same spot and I did the test right after the other to be sure and several times.

I was about to run the firmware update but came here to check for any reports since mine is running fine 😄