cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X570-i with RTX 3XXX : PCIe issue, BIOS

Adelscott
Level 7
Hello,

Yesterday I finally received my GPU, a rtx 3090 rog strix oc. After 1 hour of fighting to install the drivers (I was getting the message "Force to reinstall graphics driver" every 5 seconds with screen going off and on) I found that I had to put PCIe on gen 3 instead of "Auto".

Does PCIe GEN 4 really doesn't work ? Should you, @asus, correct something in bios if you are aware of this issue ?

By the way what firmware should I use ? The 3202 (Beta) or the 3001 ?
I'm currently on 3202, everything was ok during benchmarks yesterday , but today I experienced something weird while working (no stress on system) : image and sound went dark. Rebooting did nothing. 2 hours later it works again. I wonder if it's due to the beta bios ?
15 REPLIES 15

Whitestar69
Level 7
Adelscott wrote:
Hello,

Yesterday I finally received my GPU, a rtx 3090 rog strix oc. After 1 hour of fighting to install the drivers (I was getting the message "Force to reinstall graphics driver" every 5 seconds with screen going off and on) I found that I had to put PCIe on gen 3 instead of "Auto".

Does PCIe GEN 4 really doesn't work ? Should you, @Asus, correct something in bios if you are aware of this issue ?

I'm currently on 3202, everything was ok during benchmarks yesterday , but today I experienced something weird while working (no stress on system) : image and sound went dark. Rebooting did nothing. 2 hours later it works again. I wonder if it's due to the beta bios ?

Hi, i have been having a similar issue with my Strix 3090 OC and Strix x570e Gaming Motherboard. I started the thread below recently. My card works fine in slot 2 but wont run properly in slot 1. I was also getting the flashing screen every 5 seconds when it would eventually (after 3 minutes) boot into windows.

If i change slot 1 to PCIe 3.0 the machine is more stable but my Nvidia drivers wont detect the card so i end up having to use slot 2. Like yourself I am wondering if it is a BIOS issue.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122379-Strix-3090-OC24-not-working-correctly-in-1st-PCIE-s...

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Adelscott wrote:
Hello,

Does PCIe GEN 4 really doesn't work ? Should you, @Asus, correct something in bios if you are aware of this issue ?

Hello,

Can you confirm if you're using a riser cable?

Thread moved to relevant section.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

I am not using a Riser Cable.

Adelscott. I swapped out my ASUS Motherboard for the MSI x570 Tomahawk and the 3090 is now working fine in slot 1 at PCIE4 x16. I have to assume from this the issue is something to do with the ASUS Motherboards / BIOS's.

Whitestar69 wrote:
I am not using a Riser Cable.

Adelscott. I swapped out my ASUS Motherboard for the MSI x570 Tomahawk and the 3090 is now working fine in slot 1 at PCIE4 x16. I have to assume from this the issue is something to do with the ASUS Motherboards / BIOS's.

Thanks, I guess it will be my next move. But there's not a lot of choice in X570 + mini itx. I'll certainly go for a "MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI".

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Damn I didn't activate the email notifications.

I am using a riser cable yes, the case I am using is as Sliger SM580.

The day after my first post, it happened again, faster (1 hour-ish after boot), and never went back to normal : white led of death.

Each evening before it happened, I played games, benchmarked CPU and GPU, without any kind of problems, my screens never went dark. It only happened when I was working remotely from home, RDP full screen in one of my screens. Absolutely no stress on system.

Actual status :
Doesn't work anymore with another GPU (GTX 1070)
Doesn't work with another GPU without riser (MOBO laying down on the desk)
Doesn't work with another RAM
Doesn't work with new X570-I I asked from amazon as a replacement. (Doesn't know which bios is on)

I'm loosing my mind here. Is the CPU, 5900X, dead ? After several weeks without problems, everything went south when I plugged the new RTX and tried to get rid of the "Force to reinstall graphics driver" message and flashing screen.

Adelscott wrote:
Damn I didn't activate the email notifications.

I am using a riser cable yes, the case I am using is as Sliger SM580.

The day after my first post, it happened again, faster (1 hour-ish after boot), and never went back to normal : white led of death.

Each evening before it happened, I played games, benchmarked CPU and GPU, without any kind of problems, my screens never went dark. It only happened when I was working remotely from home, RDP full screen in one of my screens. Absolutely no stress on system.

Actual status :
Doesn't work anymore with another GPU (GTX 1070)
Doesn't work with another GPU without riser (MOBO laying down on the desk)
Doesn't work with another RAM
Doesn't work with new X570-I I asked from amazon as a replacement. (Doesn't know which bios is on)

I'm loosing my mind here. Is the CPU, 5900X, dead ? After several weeks without problems, everything went south when I plugged the new RTX and tried to get rid of the "Force to reinstall graphics driver" message and flashing screen.

Riser cables are notorious for causing issues, even supposed 4.0 compatible versions. Be very careful as I am unaware of anyone who has reliably gotten a card to work on gen 4 with a riser cable thus far.

I am running the same board as you with an FE 3090, and I have to admit I had to nuke Windows to get a few things working again. So far so good, but the current BIOS versions still have their issues. I'm also not quite getting the performance level I think I should get with a 5950X and FE3090, but it is not a million miles away.

Adelscott
Level 7
With a 3700X instead of 5900X it's working with the RTX 3090

MB is on last beta version now :
Version 3402 Beta Version 2021/01/14

ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING BIOS 3402
Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0

Still doesn't work with 5900X , still don't know how it worked the first time

Is the 5900X dead ? Or should I change motherboard for a MSI or Gygabyte ?

I've just updated the VGA Bios with this one :
Version V2 2020/12/14

Should I give a try and swap for the 12th time CPU's ? I'm kinda sick of doing that 3 or 4 days now , buying old CPU's to debug this mess ...

I've noticed when I change CPU's, settings in BIOS revert to Default, meaning PCIe = AUTO. If I have to plug an old CPU to choose GEN 3, and if it reverts back to AUTO when I change CPU how can I end this endless loop if the problem is this ?

Sorry, a lot of frustration for the time and money lost in the process

Adelscott wrote:

Is the 5900X dead ? Or should I change motherboard for a MSI or Gygabyte ?

I previously had a 3800X in my X570 i-gaming so I am fairly certain the MB is fine. That said, some of the earlier bioses from middle of the year did have USB issue for a while.

Putting that aside, if you head over to the other MB manufacturers websites/forums, you will see others complaining about exactly the same things we are, so it is not all 'rainbows and light' on the other side.

As I had a lot of stability around Christmas/New Year with some of the beta bios versions from a CPU perspective, I am also fairly certain our CPUs are not faulty. I think this is all down to BIOS versions. From my perspective, they seem to fix one thing which in turn breaks another. Key issues include:

- Idle temps often strange (where idle temps are higher than when stress tested
- USB disconnects
- NVME disconnects
- Sleep/wake issues (my biggest issue right now) causing things like disconnects and general weirdness
- WHEA and page fault errors (better these days, but latest bios from the last few days has seen one of each so far, so it looks like it has partially come back to haunt us).

Hello,

Most riser cables are not GEN 4.0 compatible. You will need to either find one that is, or connect the card directly to the PCIE slot. You can test this by enabling GEN 3.0 in the UEFI for PCIE slot 16x_1.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090