Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ROG View Post
    Hello,

Most riser cables are not GEN 4.0 compatible. You will need to either find one that is, or connect the card directly to the PCIE slot. You can test this by enabling GEN 3.0 in the UEFI for PCIE slot 16x_1.
    I can't plug the GPU directly in the SM580 case. If I have to take everything apart every time I change a piece of hardware or update the bios I'm going to go crazy

What I would like from ASUS is a BIOS that does not chose "AUTO" but a setting which is more likely to work like GEN3, or even GEN2. And then the user chooses the best.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adelscott View Post
    I can't plug the GPU directly in the SM580 case. If I have to take everything apart every time I change a piece of hardware or update the bios I'm going to go crazy

What I would like from ASUS is a BIOS that does not chose "AUTO" but a setting which is more likely to work like GEN3, or even GEN2. And then the user chooses the best.
    Hello, you are installing a GEN 4.0 card into a GEN 4.0 compliant motherboard, adding an additional layer for the user is counterintuitive. If one is installing a GEN 4.0 device, it's not much to expect they are doing so with a compatible riser cable.

I too am using a GEN 3.0 riser with a 3080 in my personal system @ GEN 3.0. You do not have to take the system apart in order to do this, simply enter the UEFI and change 16_1 to GEN 3. If you are unable to even get this far, it's possible the cable is faulty or not built to compliance.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ROG View Post
    Hello, you are installing a GEN 4.0 card into a GEN 4.0 compliant motherboard, adding an additional layer for the user is counterintuitive. If one is installing a GEN 4.0 device, it's not much to expect they are doing so with a compatible riser cable.

I too am using a GEN 3.0 riser with a 3080 in my personal system @ GEN 3.0. You do not have to take the system apart in order to do this, simply enter the UEFI and change 16_1 to GEN 3. If you are unable to even get this far, it's possible the cable is faulty or not built to compliance.
    I was able to do that the first time but not anymore. Now I got the "VGA LED", system doesn't even POST when using 5900X, so no way to change it.

With the 3700X I have not this problem, I am able to boot/play so the riser is OK for GEN3.

Question is : is my 5900X OK or did it die ? You seem to say that it should always let met access the BIOS ? Even if the riser is GEN3 but it tries to work as GEN4 ?

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adelscott View Post
    I was able to do that the first time but not anymore. Now I got the "VGA LED", system doesn't even POST when using 5900X, so no way to change it.

With the 3700X I have not this problem, I am able to boot/play so the riser is OK for GEN3.

Question is : is my 5900X OK or did it die ? You seem to say that it should always let met access the BIOS ? Even if the riser is GEN3 but it tries to work as GEN4 ?

I would remove the riser cable from the system to eliminate it entirely.

New ROGer Array

I have a 3090FE in my I-Gaming X570 and have had a few issues myself in respect to the card. Interestingly the reason I got stuck on the white VGA fault light yesterday was because of the PCIE power adapter that NVIDIA provide which is clearly rubbish. If the cable is twisted in the right direction it works perfectly, if not, its clear that the card is unable to obtain the power it needs, therefore the failure to boot.

In my case I have ordered a custom replacement cable to do away with the adapter. Suggest that you might want to do the same.

Be aware that this does not however impact the comments re the riser cable. Risers with Gen4 operating at Gen4 are a nightmare, and this has been well documented. It's the reason I did not go down the Sliger case route and opted for a large 280X case instead (also I was able to fit an FE 3090!).

ROG Member Array

Seems that the 5900X died as it was the only component not working with the others (tried them all out of the case, without riser). I'm waiting for a new one.

Note to my future self : never buy AMD cpu again.
    Last edited by Adelscott; 02-04-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2