cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturer refurbished g74sx 3d model question and help please.......

imbloodyskintag
Level 8
Hi guys and girls,
Hope you can help.
Just bought a g74sx off an asus reseller and was told it came with asus 2 y warrenty as it was basically a new customer return as customer refused to accept delivery???

Anyway,
Tried to register it on site and when I put in the serial no. it tells me its already registered???
(laptop came without glasses or originl box, just warrenty card and basic setup book)

Reseller said he will look into it next week for me.

Also,
The 2 x 750gb wd drives came already partioned as C (293gb), D (349gb), E (349gb) and F (380gb)

Finally,
So far only 2 issues are,
The on screen pointer started to freeze on screen for 5 seconds every 3 or so seconds after about 3 hours use and only fix was to restart the g74sx, so far it hasnt done it since, weird??
And, while the built-in wifi card picks up the 2.4ghz channel fine, it doesnt pickup the 5ghz channel from netgear router, which is picked up fine on my 3 year old dell?

Oh yer,this thing is bloody huge compared to my old dell laptop 🙂

Thanks,
Ian
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
Hi Ian - the stock WiFi card in the G74SX systems is only 2.4 GHz capable. The Intel 6300 and 6230 (with Bluetooth) are popular dual band upgrades.

Keep an eye on your touchpad's behavior. They can be poorly grounded, resulting in erratic behavior that cannot be corrected by software.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12215-G53SX-touchpad-problems&country=&status= discusses this issue. There are other threads on this topic that you can search for and research.

Here is one specific to the G74SX models: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11507-Touchpad-Problem-with-G74&highlight=g74sx+touchpad+gr...

Pay attention to any comments by BrodyBoy, who is very knowledgeable on this issue.

Confirm your laptop display has a 120 Hz refresh rate needed for 3D capability. Otherwise 3D is available only on an attached 3D-capable TV.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Hi Ian - the stock WiFi card in the G74SX systems is only 2.4 GHz capable. The Intel 6300 and 6230 (with Bluetooth) are popular upgrades.

Keep an eye on your touchpad's behavior. They can be poorly grounded, resulting in erratic behavior that cannot be corrected by software.

Ah right,
Im shocked that such a high cost and spec laptop only comes with a wifi 2.4ghz card, thanks for the info as saved me the hassle of going through loads of threads thying to find a fix.

Also,
Sounds like Ive got a bad one then.

Any ideas/help or thoughts on the already registered serial no issue?

You need to confirm if the touchpad issue is software-related by uninstalling the stock driver, REBOOT, and installing a recent one and/or performing an ASUS Factory Restore or clean Windows install.

Contact ASUS by phone or email to resolve your registration issue.

dstrakele wrote:
You need to confirm if the touchpad issue is software-related by uninstalling the stock driver, REBOOT, and installing a recent one and/or performing an ASUS Factory Restore or clean Windows install.

Contact ASUS by phone or email to resolve your registration issue.

Reseller is contacting asus today to question the warrenty/already registered serial no. as was sold to me as having 2 y warrenty.

Also,
Just found aload of foreign language windows Live mesh active X downloads in the programs and features page and all are dated the 14th of april 2011??

Have just updated form 201 to 203 today for no reason but for the fact its the latest BIOS 🙂

dstrakele
Level 14
imbloodyskintagain wrote:
Just found aload of foreign language windows Live mesh active X downloads in the programs and features page and all are dated the 14th of april 2011??)

It sounds like an ASUS Factory Restore was NOT done prior to selling the laptop to you. When you first started the laptop, did you have to choose a language and set up Windows features?

dstrakele wrote:
It sounds like an ASUS Factory Restore was NOT done prior to selling the laptop to you. When you first started the laptop, did you have to choose a language and set up Windows features?

Before I forget again, just want to say thankyou for all your help/links 🙂

The g74sx was already setup and running and on the net mate, Didnt come with the rog backpack,mouse or headphones or nvidia 3d kit, but I knew that before purchase and wasnt fussed due to the price I got it for 🙂

While I bought through his business ebay listing, I picked it up from his house due to being alot closer to me and also his business was shut on sunday.

The main thing I wanted was the protection of a 2 year asus warrenty.

Going to see what the reseller finds out once hes spoken to asus.

Tech_Rat
Level 9
Just bought a g74sx off an asus reseller and was told it came with asus 2 y warrenty as it was basically a new customer return as customer refused to accept delivery???

If there are files on it from a year ago, I think he may be trying to rip you off. Unless you got it for a really, REALLY good price, you may want to see about a refund.

And if it was setup a year ago... Well, I'd be going for a refund and buy from a different retailer, if available.

Tech_Rat wrote:
If there are files on it from a year ago, I think he may be trying to rip you off. Unless you got it for a really, REALLY good price, you may want to see about a refund.

And if it was setup a year ago... Well, I'd be going for a refund and buy from a different retailer, if available.

Got for £800, (3d model aswell)
Reseller's a really nice guy, has 2300 100% positive and really good feedback from buyers, also he has been nothing but very helpful and is going out of his way to resolve the issue.
Also it was originally listed with 2 x 320gb 5400rpm drives but as I was going to pickup he called to say that actually had 2 x 750gb 7200rpm drives, bonus.
He also called me back yesterday teatime to update me, he has spoken to the uk distributor who has spoken to asus and asus have confirmed to him that my g74sx does comes with a new 2 year warrenty and are lookin into changing the g74sx serialno/registration into my name and not who ever owned it before.

So far, only issues/faults I've had besides the serial being already registered and waiting for written confirmation of 2 year warrenty cover from asus is,

1) The touch pad has had 2 faults show up just once so far since owning it from last sunday.
A) pointer froze onscreen, I restarted it and it hasnt done it since?
B) Also, as I walked back to laptop lastnight I noticed the screen was zooming in and out and pointer was jumping all over the place?? So switched off the touchpad as using mouse.

Also,
After using the BR player for the first time, there has been a low humming sound coming from that area and the only way to stop it is by clamping hard on the front and back of the low leftside of the g74 just below he nvidia and windows 7 stickers with my hand.
Only becomes a problem in a quiet/low background noise room.
Told reseller and he said bring back and he would rma it and he should get a much quicker response from asus, but gonna give it a week to see if I can live with it before rma it.

imbloodyskintagain wrote:

1) The touch pad has had 2 faults show up just once so far since owning it from last sunday.
A) pointer froze onscreen, I restarted it and it hasnt done it since?
B) Also, as I walked back to laptop lastnight I noticed the screen was zooming in and out and pointer was jumping all over the place?? So switched off the touchpad as using mouse.

Also,
After using the BR player for the first time, there has been a low humming sound coming from that area and the only way to stop it is by clamping hard on the front and back of the low leftside of the g74 just below he nvidia and windows 7 stickers with my hand.
Only becomes a problem in a quiet/low background noise room.
Told reseller and he said bring back and he would rma it and he should get a much quicker response from asus, but gonna give it a week to see if I can live with it before rma it.

Good to hear he's on the up and up. You got a good deal, and replacement glasses won't cost too much.

There's definitely an issue with the touchpad, I'd recommend taking his offer to RMA it.

As for the BR player, try installing new drivers for it. It may have a bug in the code, and keeps spinning up, even when not needed. If it continues doing this for long periods of time, especially when empty, it may burn out the laser through excessive use[it happens].

Again, good deal, great find. And I'm glad the seller is doing the right thing. You got a great deal all around.