cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighting Service keeping processor at high speed

Saltgrass
Level 13
I was looking at the processor utilization on the Z490 board and noticed, even though running a Balanced Power Scheme, the processor was running at 2% utilization and 4.65 GHz. I thought that was a little odd so I noticed the Lighting Service, which I assume is for RGB, was using the 2%.

When I ended that task in Task Manager, the processor speed dropped immediately to around 1.8 GHz or so and stayed there. I think I have the utilities updated on this system but not sure why a Lighting Service would need to run a i9 10900K at such high speeds to do what it does.

I will keep an eye on it to see if after some period of time is allows the processor to slow down but I did watch it for several minutes and the processor stayed at highest speed.. I do notice the memory and motherboard RGB lighting, with the Lighting Service disabled, is not pulsing as it normally does which is probably the expected behavior.

Thanks for reading.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200
6 REPLIES 6

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
If you run anything but static color, it will do that.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Saltgrass
Level 13
OK, thanks. I suppose I will have to decide if it is worth it.

I am about to try the new 2004 Beta Bios upgrade, I doubt is will effect this but maybe other things. I have the video card with 24 GBs of memory so I am getting ready for the other software and Processor releases coming soon.

Thanks

Edit: Beta 2004 Bios seems to show as not UEFI, just in case you want to try.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

set it to what you want then uninstall

Wangeyed wrote:
set it to what you want then uninstall

That seems to work with my keyboard, but if the Lighting Service is not running the lights just go to steady.. But I will try anyway..

Thanks.

Edit: When I removed the AURA service which was still installed after I uninstalled everything else, the RGB went to steady. The Lighting Service, probably the same thing also disappeared after the AURA service uninstall and the processor dropped back down.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
I think the lighting service needs to run for the more complicated effects - the Aura chip seems to be pretty primitive. I believe that is why it is using CPU - to coordinate the effect.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Saltgrass
Level 13
I just did the Bios upgrade and Lighting Service is not running, my RGB (Motherboard and Memory) is moving again and the processor is at the slower speeds. All is good, for now. Maybe I had changed the AURA setting in the Bios..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200