cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XII Hero Wifi not detecting second RX 5700XT graphics card

Daisy81
Level 7
I'm trying to setup a second Asus Strix RX 5700XT in my system.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus XII Hero Wifi
RAM: Ballistix DDR4-3600 16GB module in slot A2 and B2. A1 and B1 are empty
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
PCIEX1_1: Internal USB3 port header x 2
PCIEX16_1: Asus Strix RX 5700XT
PCIEX1_2: Empty
PCIEX16_2: Asus Strix RX 5700XT
PCIEX1_3: Empty
PCIEX16_3: Empty
M.2_1: Corsair Force MP300 SSD
M.2_2: Corsair Force MP300 SSD
M.2_3: Empty

Both Asus Strix RX 5700XT graphics cards have two separate 8 pin cables coming from the power supply going to the cards 8 pin cables.

GPU-Z shows the Asus Strix RX 5700XT in PCIEX16_1 is operating in X16 mode but according to the manual when PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 are in use both slots should be operating in X8 mode.

The RGB for the Asus Strix RX 5700XT in PCIEX16_2 is on but not matching the color settings. It doesn't respond to armory crate to configure the lighting.

Hardware monitor, Device Manager and iCue do not detect the Asus Strix RX 5700XT in PCIEX16_2.

I realize that this isn't going to be of any use for gaming. My plan is to use it for additional monitors while gaming for web pages and other things. Then when the machine is idle I want to mine with the machine. In the long term I intend to pull both cards and build a mining rig with more of these cards. For now though I am working with what I have.

What do I need to do to get this card detected?
3 REPLIES 3

Daisy81
Level 7
I just tried swapping the two graphics cards and the card in pciex16_1 is the one that works. Thankfully this means both cards are good.

Also I noticed that when I flip on the power to the power supply without turning on the computer if the power cables are out of the power sockets the power socket on the card lights up red. When both power cables are plugged a single white led turns on. I have confirmed that both cards currently have the white led illuminated.

BillBittel
Level 12
I would try putting one of the GPUs in PCIEX16_2 with nothing in PCIE16_1 and see if it shows up in the Bios. If the GPU does not show up in the Bios, its not going to show up in Device Manager or Armory Crate. Sounds like it's not a power problem so it could be a slot problem. Have you ever had anything installed in PCIEX16_2?

howxcore
Level 10
Daisy81 wrote:
I'm trying to setup a second Asus Strix RX 5700XT in my system.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus XII Hero Wifi
RAM: Ballistix DDR4-3600 16GB module in slot A2 and B2. A1 and B1 are empty
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
PCIEX1_1: Internal USB3 port header x 2
PCIEX16_1: Asus Strix RX 5700XT
PCIEX1_2: Empty
PCIEX16_2: Asus Strix RX 5700XT
PCIEX1_3: Empty
PCIEX16_3: Empty
M.2_1: Corsair Force MP300 SSD
M.2_2: Corsair Force MP300 SSD
M.2_3: Empty

Both Asus Strix RX 5700XT graphics cards have two separate 8 pin cables coming from the power supply going to the cards 8 pin cables.

GPU-Z shows the Asus Strix RX 5700XT in PCIEX16_1 is operating in X16 mode but according to the manual when PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 are in use both slots should be operating in X8 mode.

The RGB for the Asus Strix RX 5700XT in PCIEX16_2 is on but not matching the color settings. It doesn't respond to armory crate to configure the lighting.

Hardware monitor, Device Manager and iCue do not detect the Asus Strix RX 5700XT in PCIEX16_2.

I realize that this isn't going to be of any use for gaming. My plan is to use it for additional monitors while gaming for web pages and other things. Then when the machine is idle I want to mine with the machine. In the long term I intend to pull both cards and build a mining rig with more of these cards. For now though I am working with what I have.

What do I need to do to get this card detected?

Enable above 4G in bios and see if it picks it up