cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Maximus XII Hero Beta Bios (2004) shows as Not UEFI Bios.

Saltgrass
Level 13
I just downloaded this Beta Bios and tried to install using the Bios Tool. When I pointed to the Bios the response was it is not a UEFI Bios.. Strange, since I downloaded it normally, as far as I can tell.

I might try renaming it but I don't expect that to make a difference.

They appear to have replaced the 2002 version with the Beta 2004 .. maybe even the original had some problems..

Maybe someone could let them know..

Thanks.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200
13 REPLIES 13

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
What does that mean "when I pointed to the BIOS the response was"?

It definitely is UEFI - I am running it with no issues, modded for microcode and updated RST UEFI module, secure boot, etc.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
What does that mean "when I pointed to the BIOS the response was"?

It definitely is UEFI - I am running it with no issues, modded for microcode and updated RST UEFI module, secure boot, etc.

When I use Easy Flash 3, it asks which file I want to use. I have both the 2002 and 2004 versions in my root directory so I pick the 2004 version and get the UEFI message. The 2002 version, handled the same way did not give such a message.

These boards came with the CSM enabled by default. I disabled mine so perhaps that is involved but there is no reason these things show have the CSM enabled. Now that I think about that, I may need to check if the 2002 update changed that back. But even with that, I should not get the UEFI message.

Edit: I just downloaded it again and show a different time and date on the .cap file.. I will try the new one and post back..

The new one from 1/13 works and the first one from 1/17 did not so it has been replaced.. Pretty Quick on Asus's part..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
When I use Easy Flash 3, it asks which file I want to use. I have both the 2002 and 2004 versions in my root directory so I pick the 2004 version and get the UEFI message. The 2002 version, handled the same way did not give such a message.

These boards came with the CSM enabled by default. I disabled mine so perhaps that is involved but there is no reason these things show have the CSM enabled. Now that I think about that, I may need to check if the 2002 update changed that back. But even with that, I should not get the UEFI message.

Edit: I just downloaded it again and show a different time and date on the .cap file.. I will try the new one and post back..

The new one from 1/13 works and the first one from 1/17 did not so it has been replaced.. Pretty Quick on Asus's part..

The 2004 BIOS for my board is listed as 01/13/2021. I loaded it the morning of the release, noticed issues when running benchmarks, rolled back to BIOS version 2002,.. and now today checking download site the 2004 BIOS shows as 01/15/2021 so it does seem the release date was changed a few days later.

1/13/2021 version.

Currently showing as 1/15/2021 version now.

The ReSizeable BAR will not work with RTX 30-series cards until Nvidia releases a VBIOS update in March, so no point in me updating.

Lith1um
Level 7
Saltgrass wrote:
I just downloaded this Beta Bios and tried to install using the Bios Tool. When I pointed to the Bios the response was it is not a UEFI Bios.. Strange, since I downloaded it normally, as far as I can tell.

I might try renaming it but I don't expect that to make a difference.

They appear to have replaced the 2002 version with the Beta 2004 .. maybe even the original had some problems..

Maybe someone could let them know..

Thanks.

you have to unzip the file, and then run the bios re-namer tool in the folder.

Lith1um wrote:
you have to unzip the file, and then run the bios re-namer tool in the folder.

You don't need to rename the file unless you use it for Crash Free Bios 3 where you use a flash drive and start the system with the Bios button.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Hmm. I downloaded on the 16th. Asus, being the reputable company they are, should have noted if they switched the file. LOL.

If someone has one posted on the 13th and the one on the 15th it would be interesting to see if the files' checksums match,

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

I still have the 2004 loaded on my system in BIOS #2.

Looking forward to testing the ReSizeeable BAR in March,.. until than looks like,..

No "Large Memory Range"

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
If you do "View-> devices by type" you should see a Large memory section you have the BIOS BAR set to auto. I don't think there is a Video BIOS/driver available from NVIDIA yet AFAIK.

Saltgrass
Level 13
I have been watching the info from the Task Manager for changes. I have not seen a large change but I am going to compare to when after the other components are released.

When I was play a game, the Dedicated memory went to 5/24.0 GB, so I will compare that with later readings. I suppose since the setting in the Bios is Auto, when the components are available, it will turn on.

I just downloaded the last edition of the Bios 2004 (listed as 1/15) and the actual .cap file still shows 1/13. I suppose all the Maximus XII Hero/Wi-Fi are the same, not sure about the Extreme version.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200