cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5970 - only 1 core working in OpenGL

rocknroll237
Level 7
I've been using the MSI afterburner OSD overlay tool in various games using OpenGL and the second core in my Asus Ares (pretty much a 5970) isn't active. It's always 0%. I think this is strange as the second core is active in games using DirectX.

I have Windows 7 Pro 64bit and I've got the 11.11 drivers and app profiles.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,
Cam
10 REPLIES 10

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome RockNroll ... New Member ..
.. sorry to hear of your issue ... there is a 'ROG Graphics' section on the forum ..
thats a nice card ... good luck Cam.c.

xeromist
My understanding is that SLI & Crossfire don't work the same in OpenGL. I think the application has to be set up for it and you have to have a driver with the right profile. It might not be supported until the version 12 catalyst or it might not be supported at all.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for the reply. Well doing some more testing, I realise that both cores are active in some OpenGL applications, but it's a bit hit and miss. A lot of Open source games using OpenGL don't seem to utilise both cores, whereas benchmarks like ShaderToyMark do.

xeromist
Yeah, I think those OSS projects need to add a special library or something. Since they are OSS you could always make the modification and recompile yourself. 😄
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I guess I could, but I'm not a techy genius... 😉
The game I would add support for is Xonotic.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Easy way to check.

Run a benchmark that has a couple of posted results with the same graphic card. If your results are close or the same then the card is working fine. If the results are really really bad at the same clocks your card has an issue.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah I have replied in another thread of yours. I see that both cores do work but not in games not optimised for dual core gpuS
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

xeromist
threads merged 🙂

What steps do I need to take in order to make a game like Xonotic take advantage of two cores under OpenGL? Or is it best to ask the AMD driver team to optimise the game?