cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOCP 3200C14 errors on TestMem5

mattlovell
Level 7
Hi guys,

I'm on a Rog Strix X570-E, just updated to 3402 although this has been tested on 3202 and previous non-beta BIOS. I have 32GB of G Skill Trident Z 3200C14 ram. This is comprised of 2 x 16GB kits (each kit is 2x8GB DIMMS) so 4 DIMMS in total. CPU is 5900x.

All combinations of 2 sticks seems to be rock solid, no errors at DOCP profile and even running up to 3800C16 with some more voltage. However, as soon as I combine all 4 sticks, running anta777 extreme test in TestMem5 throws errors at DOCP. I've also tried upping SOC to 1.2v and ram to 1.4v, setting timings manually, still errors. System is not crashing (at least, not due to ram issues from what I can tell) and generally performs well but I wanted to ask if anyone else is having similar issues. From what I can tell on the QVL, this config should work (the kit is listed there and 4 DIMMs is ticked). If I loosen to C16 timings the errors seem to go away.

Is this normal? Should I be worried about a potential bad board or maybe even CPU?
3 REPLIES 3

Daylight_Invade
Level 8
Rather than use the mem test tool you mentioned, have you tried the gold standard which is MemTest86?

Ideally you should NOT test your memory in Windows, but run in Freedos so that the test tool has full unrestricted access. Basically you download the tool to a USB drive and you then boot off that drive.

https://www.memtest86.com/

If MemTest86 suggests you have issues running at your fairly tight timings, that points to a memory failure. I would then RMA the memory.

Having said all of the above, I think you are aware that those of us with X570 and B550 boards are having a bit of a bad time at the moment with all the BIOSes out there right now. It's not just impacting Asus, but all of the board partners and requires AMD to sort out their AGESA code.

I would still go ahead with the test I mentioned. 🙂

Thanks for the reply. I did perform a run of Memtest86 in BIOS overnight which returned no errors. I'm aware that I'm clutching a bit here with only one test showing errors considering as well that I'm not seeing any issues performance wise. Just curious if people consider this normal or how many others might be seeing the same kind of issues with current BIOS'.

Edit: The reason I am using Testmem5 is that it's the one tool that quickly and consistently finds errors. A few other forums seem to say that the anta777 extreme config for it is one of the best and most strenuous free ram tests available.

mattlovell wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I did perform a run of Memtest86 in BIOS overnight which returned no errors. I'm aware that I'm clutching a bit here with only one test showing errors considering as well that I'm not seeing any issues performance wise. Just curious if people consider this normal or how many others might be seeing the same kind of issues with current BIOS'.

Edit: The reason I am using Testmem5 is that it's the one tool that quickly and consistently finds errors. A few other forums seem to say that the anta777 extreme config for it is one of the best and most strenuous free ram tests available.

MemTest86 is still the 'gold standard'. I would be wary of any Windows based tools as they won't have full unrestricted access to the memory. Added to this, BIOS issues are more pronounced in Windows as so many other drivers etc have an impact.

If MemTest86 is showing no errors, it might be worth waiting for another BIOS update, making sure you also do a full BIOS clear (via switch or jumpers depending on your board). Hopefully the next iteration will bring us closer to nirvana.