Asus ROG Strix X570-E + 4000Mhz DDR4

Bcspd
Level 7
Hi,

I recently purchased:
Asus ROG Strix X570-E
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Corsair 2x16GB DDR4 4000Mhz 19-23-23-45

The PC will not post. All fans and lights spin up and it looks and sounds just fine but I'm getting a black screen on boot. The white VGA light on the MB is on and the debug leds hang at code 36. If I long hold the power button to power off and power up again the code leds will flash 00 repeatedly. So I've been using the power switch on the PSU instead.

White VGA led + black screen would seem to suggest the graphics card was not found. 5900x doesn't have an integrated GPU so I'm wondering if that's simply why that light is on? I've tried:

1. Using 4/5 different graphics cards - 2080TI (which I'm typing with now), a Titan X, 670 and some older cards I don't remember the name of.
2. Three different port interfaces, HDMI, DVI and display port.
3. Three different screens.

Post code 36 is according to the manual 'Post memory initialization'.
16GB sticks are not a part of the QVL - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570.pdf
but 8GB sticks are and I have 4x8GB sticks with the same CAS timings in my old rig (which are on the QVL) so tried using those as well but the result is the same.

Things I have also tried:
1. Unplugged everything except 24pin + 8pin power, CPU, 1 stick of memory.
2. Moved the graphics card to the other PCIe slot.
3. Reseated everything several times.
4. Cleared CMOS via jumper pins.
5. Flashed the bios with the latest version (3001) using flashback. I have to assume it worked as there's no screen. But the USB light does flash for several minutes indicating files being read.
6. Pulled the battery.

I have since returned the motherboard and CPU to Overclockers UK. Their technician tested it and found no fault. The only difference in their setup was the RAM. Unfortunately the tech did not specify what kind of RAM they used.

Now, as I've said above I have tried 2 sets of RAM in this PC. The new set I purchased and the set from my old pc which are respectively:
1. Corsair 2x16GB DDR4 4000Mhz 19-23-23-45
2. Corsair 4x8GB DDR4 4000Mhz 19-23-23-45

And neither worked. The first set is not a part of the QVL but the second set IS. I've tried the new 2x16GB in my old PC and on first boot it did not post either. But after rebooting the motherboard used fallback settings of 2666Mhz which allowed me to configure the settings.

TLDR: Could someone please double check that the Asus ROG Strix X570-E boots with default BIOS settings with this type of RAM (4000Mhz 19-23-23-45). The motherboard appears to not be falling back to a frequency/settings that work if the pc fails to boot.

PS: Unfortunately, due to the delay in getting my hands on the CPU the Ram is already passed the period where I can return it. So I'm kind of stuck with it. Surely this motherboard should boot with this RAM if my 3 year old Maximus Hero IX can?!
19 REPLIES 19

Daylight_Invade
Level 8
Bcspd wrote:
Hi,

I recently purchased:
Asus ROG Strix X570-E
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Corsair 2x16GB DDR4 4000Mhz 19-23-23-45

The PC will not post. All fans and lights spin up and it looks and sounds just fine but I'm getting a black screen on boot. The white VGA light on the MB is on and the debug leds hang at code 36. If I long hold the power button to power off and power up again the code leds will flash 00 repeatedly. So I've been using the power switch on the PSU instead.

White VGA led + black screen would seem to suggest the graphics card was not found. 5900x doesn't have an integrated GPU so I'm wondering if that's simply why that light is on? I've tried:

1. Using 4/5 different graphics cards - 2080TI (which I'm typing with now), a Titan X, 670 and some older cards I don't remember the name of.
2. Three different port interfaces, HDMI, DVI and display port.
3. Three different screens.

Post code 36 is according to the manual 'Post memory initialization'.
16GB sticks are not a part of the QVL - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570.pdf
but 8GB sticks are and I have 4x8GB sticks with the same CAS timings in my old rig (which are on the QVL) so tried using those as well but the result is the same.

Things I have also tried:
1. Unplugged everything except 24pin + 8pin power, CPU, 1 stick of memory.
2. Moved the graphics card to the other PCIe slot.
3. Reseated everything several times.
4. Cleared CMOS via jumper pins.
5. Flashed the bios with the latest version (3001) using flashback. I have to assume it worked as there's no screen. But the USB light does flash for several minutes indicating files being read.
6. Pulled the battery.

I have since returned the motherboard and CPU to Overclockers UK. Their technician tested it and found no fault. The only difference in their setup was the RAM. Unfortunately the tech did not specify what kind of RAM they used.

Now, as I've said above I have tried 2 sets of RAM in this PC. The new set I purchased and the set from my old pc which are respectively:
1. Corsair 2x16GB DDR4 4000Mhz 19-23-23-45
2. Corsair 4x8GB DDR4 4000Mhz 19-23-23-45

And neither worked. The first set is not a part of the QVL but the second set IS. I've tried the new 2x16GB in my old PC and on first boot it did not post either. But after rebooting the motherboard used fallback settings of 2666Mhz which allowed me to configure the settings.

TLDR: Could someone please double check that the Asus ROG Strix X570-E boots with default BIOS settings with this type of RAM (4000Mhz 19-23-23-45). The motherboard appears to not be falling back to a frequency/settings that work if the pc fails to boot.

PS: Unfortunately, due to the delay in getting my hands on the CPU the Ram is already passed the period where I can return it. So I'm kind of stuck with it. Surely this motherboard should boot with this RAM if my 3 year old Maximus Hero IX can?!

1. Have you tried using an alternative low end GPU temporarily to see if not using your 2080 TI is causing some sort of strange issue?

2. 4000 RAM on DOCP will attempt a 2000 FCLK. This is a very high fabric clock and not guaranteed. The latest beta BIOS might improve things, but this is not guaranteed. With that in mind, make sure you have cleared the BIOS jumper or reset it so it is back at default rather than DOCP settings and attempt to use your RAM, but make sure you DON'T immediately allow the auto setting to push your FCLK to 2000.

3. What is your PSU like? With a 5900X and a 2080 TI, there is quite a bit of power draw there. It might be helpful to know what is happening on that side of the equation.

To show how weird things can be, I have a new FE 3090 connected to my X570 I-Gaming. The other day I went in and cleared up bios after an upgrade to latest beta. In the process, I hit the Nvidia 12 pin adapter. This stopped my ability to boot and I too got stuck on white GPU error light. After swapping to a low end card and seeing I was able to boot, I tried to the FE 3090 again and this time I was able to boot. Ended up playing around a bit and realised that each time I slightly hit the 12 pin Nvidia PSU/PCIE adapter, this was causing the card to fail. This meant in my case it was a piece of kit which probably cost 50 pence was causing my entire PC to fail. The point of my saying all of this, is that sometimes it is not necessarily the expensive parts but something quite cheap and simple. It is not helped that the beta BIOSes we are working with at the moment on these X570 boards fix one thing and then break another.

1. Have you tried using an alternative low end GPU temporarily to see if not using your 2080 TI is causing some sort of strange issue?

Yep. As said above I tried several GPUs - "2080TI (which I'm typing with now), a Titan X, 670 and some older cards I don't remember the name of."

but make sure you DON'T immediately allow the auto setting to push your FCLK to 2000.

How do I do this without access to the BIOS?

What is your PSU like? With a 5900X and a 2080 TI, there is quite a bit of power draw there. It might be helpful to know what is happening on that side of the equation.

Don't think power's an issue. I've a Corsair AX1200i which I've ran dual 1080p in the past. And is currently running the 2080Ti with my 7700k.

It is not helped that the beta BIOSes we are working with at the moment on these X570 boards fix one thing and then break another.

Yea reading some of the threads here I'm not getting a comforting feeling at all. Though I guess you could visit any forum and get the same impression.

Try bios flashback again with a clean flash drive with only the .cap file and give it a good 30 minutes. I had similar problems with the CH8. Its really hard to tell when the flashback actually finishes.

ssmurf wrote:
Try bios flashback again with a clean flash drive with only the .cap file and give it a good 30 minutes. I had similar problems with the CH8. Its really hard to tell when the flashback actually finishes.

Usb disk was freshly formatted fat32 with only the renamed bios file on board. Don't know that I left it for 30 minutes but I did leave it and go have a cup of coffee/break.

Also, the tech at Overclockers did say: "(Motherboard boot to BIOS LED Firmware Update screen which only appears during a BIOS update when using OcUK CPU. Once complete system restarted to BIOS which showed version 3001. This CPU then installed with 4x8GB RAM and RX580 - boot to Windows with no issues. BIOS and desktop screenshots taken. Returned.)"

3001 is still the latest stable version. Haven't gotten the MB or CPU back yet due to shipping issues. But I'll try flashing the beta version if I still have issues when I do get it back.

Maybe the tech flashed the bios and it will work now. It's not entirely clear from the very small report I was given....

Bcspd wrote:
Usb disk was freshly formatted fat32 with only the renamed bios file on board. Don't know that I left it for 30 minutes but I did leave it and go have a cup of coffee/break.

Also, the tech at Overclockers did say: "(Motherboard boot to BIOS LED Firmware Update screen which only appears during a BIOS update when using OcUK CPU. Once complete system restarted to BIOS which showed version 3001. This CPU then installed with 4x8GB RAM and RX580 - boot to Windows with no issues. BIOS and desktop screenshots taken. Returned.)"

3001 is still the latest stable version. Haven't gotten the MB or CPU back yet due to shipping issues. But I'll try flashing the beta version if I still have issues when I do get it back.

Maybe the tech flashed the bios and it will work now. It's not entirely clear from the very small report I was given....

do not set 4000 mhz ram ......try 3800mhz ram and 1900 infinity....bet it boots first time

Demoniacstar wrote:
do not set 4000 mhz ram ......try 3800mhz ram and 1900 infinity....bet it boots first time

Uhuh, and how do I do that without access to the BIOS?

Unless you mean to buy 3800Mhz RAM. Yea, I mean 4000MHz is on the QVL and the stuff I bought is passed the period where I can just return it so I kind of feel the onus is on Asus here to provide a solution that doesn't leave me out of pocket (any more than I already am).

It'd also be a downgrade from my previous, 3 year old, PC....

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
4000MHz is the absolute top end of expectations on top end hardware...not attainable by every CPU sample...

You could flash 3402 beta with new AGESA to see if that helps...

However as suggested...you would probably be best to try 3800 with the appropriate FCLK

If the tech here saw the LED firmware update it's because the board had been disconnected during a BIOS update...never a good thing to do.

Watch what code the board stops on if you have no display...this may give you a clue if you have further problems

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
4000MHz is the absolute top end of expectations on top end hardware...not attainable by every CPU sample...

I understand and appreciate this point BUT my point is that shouldn't the board fallback to safe settings (lower frequency) if it initially is unable to post? This has been the way with every modern motherboard I've used in the last 10-15 years. This board does not appear to do that.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, it should do that....especially if you clear CMOS.