cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING: DRAM orange alert light and instant shutdown

BadGnollo
Level 7
Hi everyone. The barebone sytem I am building is made up of

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
Motherboard ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
Tridentz DDR4-3200 8GBx2

I also have a hard drive and a bluray-drive, but although I have been able to boot, it keeps shutting down and gives me the alert signal. I got into the bios, to see if I could get any additional info, but none available.

I tested booting with either of the two 8Gig sticks, but it still chrashes eventually. I was able to go halfway through installing window before it tried to reboot and then the orange light came on again.

I was told by Asus that the DRAM I am using is not supported, but I see that some of you are using TRIDENTZ with this motherboard. Does anyone have any suggestion to settings I could try in the bios to see if it stops the system from crashing, before I throw them in the bin (£80).

Unfortunately I bought them months ago so I don't believe ebuyer will allow me to swap them for another pair that is supported.

THank you for your help in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

cl-Adrian
Level 8
BadGnollo wrote:

Tridentz DDR4-3200 8GBx2

I also have a hard drive and a bluray-drive, but although I have been able to boot, it keeps shutting down and gives me the alert signal. I got into the bios, to see if I could get any additional info, but none available.

I tested booting with either of the two 8Gig sticks, but it still chrashes eventually. I was able to go halfway through installing window before it tried to reboot and then the orange light came on again.

I was told by Asus that the DRAM I am using is not supported, but I see that some of you are using TRIDENTZ with this motherboard. Does anyone have any suggestion to settings I could try in the bios to see if it stops the system from crashing, before I throw them in the bin (£80).

Unfortunately I bought them months ago so I don't believe ebuyer will allow me to swap them for another pair that is supported.

My name is Adrian from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. Please provide us the complete specification of your system along with the Part number of your DRAM as there are many "versions" of the Trident DRAM. You can also try breadboarding your system to help debug the unit as well:

1. Try taking the motherboard out of the case and set it on an insulated surface.
2. Install JUST the CPU/cooler, and 1 stick of memory in the first slot.
3. Plug in the 2 PSU cables to the MB. Connect the motherboard, and connect the monitor to the integrated video if it has it.
4. Turn on the PSU. Momentarily short the 2 pins that the case's power button wires would connect to for starting. (You can also drag the case close enough to use the button's wires if you wish).

If the issue persists please email me at cl-adrian@asus.com.:

cl-Adrian@ROG wrote:
My name is Adrian from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. Please provide us the complete specification of your system along with the Part number of your DRAM as there are many "versions" of the Trident DRAM. You can also try breadboarding your system to help debug the unit as well:

1. Try taking the motherboard out of the case and set it on an insulated surface.
3. Plug in the 2 PSU cables to the MB. Connect the motherboard, and connect the monitor to the integrated video if it has it.
4. Turn on the PSU. Momentarily short the 2 pins that the case's power button wires would connect to for starting. (You can also drag the case close enough to use the button's wires if you wish).

Thanks Adrian, I can do easily steps 1 to 4, but what do I do once I booted into the bios?
Not sure what breadboarding is.

Screenshot attached 87668

cl-Adrian@ROG wrote:

The issue obiously persists, nobody has offered any real help so far. Does anyone know what I should try in the bios to get this thing running

BadGnollo wrote:
The issue obiously persists, nobody has offered any real help so far. Does anyone know what I should try in the bios to get this thing running

First try this. SOC voltage, lower to 1.06250 and tell me if it fixes it? You'll need to press manual and type that in.

primeshooter wrote:
First try this. SOC voltage, lower to 1.06250 and tell me if it fixes it? You'll need to press manual and type that in.

any luck I'm having the same issue ?

lildaze559
Level 7
BadGnollo wrote:

Tridentz DDR4-3200 8GBx2

any luck I'm having the same issue ? Â*

Firstly any trident Z memory will work even if its not "supported" by your motherboard. Just for the record in the last 6 months I have purchased over 256 sets of Trident Z memory and have had to send back over 70 sets due to some or all sticks not working for RMA. Also I have been having a lot of problems with Asus motherboards especially the 450'sand 570's I have sent back over 20 of each and every single time they come back from RMA saying there were bent pins in the CPU mount (these are all AM4 boards)....I am unsure whether this is just a standard reply when they "repair " a faulty motherboard or it is in fact the problem.

Escorpiom
Level 9
For those having issues with these kind of modules, look carefully at the lot number on the sticks.
If it ends in 10C like in the picture above, the modules have Samsung C-die chips on them.
I have 4 x 16GB C-die with the same issues.

Until Asus adds proper bios support, you may face some issues with those modules.
Workaround may be running them at a lower speed, mine are at 3000Mhz (modules are rated for 3200Mhz).

Cheers.