cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) - PCI Express Link State Power Managment Error

James-Pro
Level 7
Hello, I have been having an issue with my new motherboard that I think I've narrowed down the trigger for the issue being the PCI Express Link State Power Management option in windows.

Basically I will be watching a video and then the video will freeze and remain frozen for up to 15 seconds, sometimes having to close the video player then opening the video file again.

At first I thought it was the video player itself, then I used a different player and the issue happened still.

I thought there was an issue with the hard drive, scanned it, no issues found, then the issue happened with a different hard drive, scanned it, no issue found.

Then I checked Event Log to see what it caught and this is what is happening.

In General tab for storahci in Event Log it reads "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued."

For disk it reads "The IO operation at logical block address 0x1303b1a8 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000037) was retried."

Then I spent a while searching for what would cause this issue and one thing I read was disabling the PCI Express Link State Power Management option in Windows from it's default value of "Moderate Power Savings" to "Off", and so far I have not had this error appear again in Event Log or video files freeze again.

So from my limited understanding basically PCI Express is being put to sleep and then waking up which is causing the player / system to lose connection to the hard drive / video file.

It would be nice to have the pci express power saving feature set to it's default value, for now I will keep it set to off for fear it's going to corrupt a hard drive.

I hope this issue can be fixed via a Bios update, I have updated to the most recent beta 1801 bios, prior I was using the newest non-beta 1202, actually updated that also in the hopes it would fix this error I am reporting here which it did not.

Is there a more official way of reporting issues to Asus? the way I understand it this forum is basically for users to interact with each other.
10 REPLIES 10

bonusbartus
Level 7
Try going to windows services and stop or disable the asus lightingservice and see if that helps. Uninstalling armory crate also does the trick.

bonusbartus wrote:
Try going to windows services and stop or disable the asus lightingservice and see if that helps. Uninstalling armory crate also does the trick.

I do not have either of these things installed, Armory Create is disabled in the bios.

The trigger of this issue is the pci express power setting, the motherboard requires a bios update to remedy the issue.

Do you also have all rgb stuff disabled in bios then?
I got the similar windows errors with a kingson m.2 nvme ssd. Solved it by disabling all the rgb stuff.
Also see this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/enhzj5/kingston_a2000_1tb_vs_stornvmesys_bsod/
And
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1467756

It could be a faulty drive...

bonusbartus wrote:
Do you also have all rgb stuff disabled in bios then?
I got the similar windows errors with a kingson m.2 nvme ssd. Solved it by disabling all the rgb stuff.
Also see this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/enhzj5/kingston_a2000_1tb_vs_stornvmesys_bsod/
And
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1467756

It could be a faulty drive...

I have 5 hard drives, the error will happen if I am playing a video file from any of them when the PCI Express Link State Power Management setting is set to it's default value of "Moderate Power Savings".. the hard drives are not faulty, when setting PCI Express Link State Power Management to "Off" the error does not occur.

I have no Asus Armory Create delivered software installed, Armory Create is disabled in the bios, I have no "RGB".

I am literally pointing at the issue saying this is the issue and that it needs to be fixed.

Since creating this thread I have reported this issue to Asus via customer support seeing as I have registered the motherboard and also AMD via bug report tool, so hopefully it will get fixed so there won't be an issue using the default pci express power saving feature *fingers crossed*

James-Pro
Level 7
Seems I'm getting these hard drive reset errors even with pci express link state power management setting set to off...

I'm at a loss, I have no idea what is causing it.

James-Pro
Level 7
Just noticed this thread has been moved out of it's intended subforum of AMD 400 & 500 Series Motherboards
which is where this thread needs to be, this issue is being caused by this new motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) which is B550 based motherboard.

This is not an issue with hard drives, this is not a general hardware issue, this is an issue with a B550 "aka" 500 series based motherboard.

xeromist
***Moved back per James's request. ***

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas for you, James.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
***Moved back per James's request. ***

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas for you, James.

Thank you.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

ROG Care is the intended subsection for issues affecting certain products and is more likely to be picked up by CS and internal staff, hence why it was moved. However, if you would prefer the thread to remain here that's entirely up to you.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090