cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange BIOS/UEFI Behavior on x570 ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero MB

SharpShot00
Level 7
Specs:
[Motherboard]: x570 Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Not wifi)
[CPU]: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
[CPU Cooler]: Corsair H115i Platinum
[RAM]: 2x G.skill Trident Z RGB (F4-3600C18D-64GTZR) Total of 128 GB.
[GPU]: EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black (Will Upgrade Later)
[PSU]: EVGA Supernova G2 1300W Modular PSU
[Memory]: WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 (Boot Drive)
Samsung EVO 1TB 850
2x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm HDD (Currently Disconnected)
[OS]: Windows 10 Pro.

The strange behavior: I cannot access the motherboards UEFI/BIOS unless I remove the boot drive:

When I Reboot/Start the computer, the screen remains completely black until the operating system login appears.
Pressing, Holding, and Mashing Del/F2 during start up does nothing.
Changing monitors and/or monitor ports does nothing. (DisplayPort, HDMI, and DVI connections were tested across multiple functioning monitors.)
Restart to UEFI/Bios option via the OS does not change the behavior: The computer still posts straight to the OS.

After removing the M.2 SSD boot drive, the computer did post to the bios and display everything on the connected monitor. The BIOS recognized the keyboard and mouse with no difficulties. I set the bios boot delay to 5 seconds, just in case the computer was loading the OS too quickly for me to tell it to go to bios. After resinstalling the boot drive, the computer now just waits with a black screen for an extra 5 seconds before going straight to the OS login.

Has anyone experienced this behavior before and does anyone know what can be done to fix it? I don’t want to have to disassemble my computer each time I need to get to the bios to change something? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

mr_Loma
Level 7
hey I never had such an issue, but here is what I would try.

Let the mb fully reset, so unplug the power cord and remove that battery, now let it sit for 5-15min, this should let all the capacitors in the mb drain .

On the other hand it could be a bios issue, you could load optimal settings reboot and do a bios update, it's a long shot though.

SchlauFuchs
Level 7
SharpShot00 wrote:
Specs:
Has anyone experienced this behavior before and does anyone know what can be done to fix it? I don'¢ want to have to disassemble my computer each time I need to get to the bios to change something? Thanks.

Yes, I have the absolute same situation here and it is very irritating.

Escorpiom
Level 9
Did you post your BIOS version? Didn't see it.

kryptek
Level 8
I'm getting this sort of issue as well, out of nowhere. Although for my case, my system does not complete POST. It hangs at the POST screen, keyboard is unresponsive, and it eventually reboots and repeats. I have 3 NVMe drives (2x M2, 1x PCIe). If I remove the M2_2 slot and the PCIe SSD, the system posts/boots just fine. The second I plug either of the other SSD's in, the system doesn't boot.

I haven't done much to troubleshot this issue yet but, add me to the list having this problem. My MB is a ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha with the latest bios version.

thomas_yiu
Level 9
SharpShot00 wrote:
Specs:
[Motherboard]: x570 Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Not wifi)
[CPU]: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
[CPU Cooler]: Corsair H115i Platinum
[RAM]: 2x G.skill Trident Z RGB (F4-3600C18D-64GTZR) Total of 128 GB.
[GPU]: EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black (Will Upgrade Later)
[PSU]: EVGA Supernova G2 1300W Modular PSU
[Memory]: WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 (Boot Drive)
Samsung EVO 1TB 850
2x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm HDD (Currently Disconnected)
[OS]: Windows 10 Pro.

The strange behavior: I cannot access the motherboards UEFI/BIOS unless I remove the boot drive:

When I Reboot/Start the computer, the screen remains completely black until the operating system login appears.
Pressing, Holding, and Mashing Del/F2 during start up does nothing.
Changing monitors and/or monitor ports does nothing. (DisplayPort, HDMI, and DVI connections were tested across multiple functioning monitors.)
Restart to UEFI/Bios option via the OS does not change the behavior: The computer still posts straight to the OS.

After removing the M.2 SSD boot drive, the computer did post to the bios and display everything on the connected monitor. The BIOS recognized the keyboard and mouse with no difficulties. I set the bios boot delay to 5 seconds, just in case the computer was loading the OS too quickly for me to tell it to go to bios. After resinstalling the boot drive, the computer now just waits with a black screen for an extra 5 seconds before going straight to the OS login.

Has anyone experienced this behavior before and does anyone know what can be done to fix it? I don’t want to have to disassemble my computer each time I need to get to the bios to change something? Thanks.

Hi SharpShot00,

There is highly likely the M.2 SSD is short circuit the system, maybe faulty M.2 drive.
I recommend testing the M.2 drive to another M.2 slot and if it still persist, please use another drive. Makes sure before you install the M.2 drive, turn off the system completely and unplug the power cord and than install the M.2 on the M.2 slot. After install M.2, please turn on the system.

Thomas
Sincerely,
TY