Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 124
  1. #61
    ROG Enthusiast Array kaltoreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzon1337 View Post
    Hi

    The driver we're talking about is on the first post in this thread (296.16) and is asus approved and optimized for nVidia GTX 460/560M
    I see =)

    my g74sx is awsome fun to play on, have really good fps on all games, expect for RIFT for some reason, which have ****ty fps hehe =)

    So i downed the 301.24 driver, and thought perhaps it would be better. But i will try the 296.16 one, as you say ut is optimized for the 460/560M cards =)

    Have a nice weekend!

  2. #62
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    876

    Quote Originally Posted by kaltoreth View Post
    I see =)

    my g74sx is awsome fun to play on, have really good fps on all games, expect for RIFT for some reason, which have ****ty fps hehe =)

    So i downed the 301.24 driver, and thought perhaps it would be better. But i will try the 296.16 one, as you say ut is optimized for the 460/560M cards =)

    Have a nice weekend!
    That 301.24 driver isn't that a beta version?
    I know that our notebooks is suffering from CPU throtling so that can by why you have low fps in RIFT... there is a workaround to fix it in this forum, but @ColonelS have mentioned that there will be a new BIOS released soon, that fixes this issue.... but haven't seen it yet
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

  3. #63
    ROG Enthusiast Array kaltoreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzon1337 View Post
    That 301.24 driver isn't that a beta version?
    I know that our notebooks is suffering from CPU throtling so that can by why you have low fps in RIFT... there is a workaround to fix it in this forum, but @ColonelS have mentioned that there will be a new BIOS released soon, that fixes this issue.... but haven't seen it yet
    hm .. isnt that just for the g73 series ? Im runing the intel boost monitor thingy, and it flies up too 2.8ghz when i play, so i dont think its throttleed in anyway. I have the 203 bios on my g74sx.

  4. #64
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    876

    Quote Originally Posted by kaltoreth View Post
    hm .. isnt that just for the g73 series ? Im runing the intel boost monitor thingy, and it flies up too 2.8ghz when i play, so i dont think its throttleed in anyway. I have the 203 bios on my g74sx.
    This is for all Sandy Bridge processors so unfortunately this is for the G74 too =/
    Take a look at this thread ATTENTION: G73/53SW Owners - CPU Throttling to 798mhz and how to fix it
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

  5. #65
    ROG Enthusiast Array kaltoreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzon1337 View Post
    This is for all Sandy Bridge processors so unfortunately this is for the G74 too =/
    Take a look at this thread ATTENTION: G73/53SW Owners - CPU Throttling to 798mhz and how to fix it
    Increadible! =) THank you for adressing it!

    But why do CPUID and Intel Turbo boost Monitor both say my cpu is running at 2.8ghz ?
    I am NOT doubting what you say, its just tht everything i use to monitor my system, says otherwise.

    Im as confused as an eskimo in the desert.
    Everybody remember where we parked.
    -James Kirk, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, after landing the cloaked Klingon bird of prey in Golden Gate park

    ..and yes, I drive an electric car yo.

  6. #66
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    800 MHz is the idle frequency of the SandyBridge CPUs. If the monitor flies up to 2.8 GHz (you have a 2630QM I suppose), then the turbo boost is kicking in, and nothing is wrong. To save on power and reduce heat, Intel allows the processor to under-clock itself when idle. In fact, this feature, known as SpeedStep, was introduced in the days of the Pentium III (A LONG time ago).

  7. #67
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array fuzon1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    876

    Quote Originally Posted by kaltoreth View Post
    Increadible! =) THank you for adressing it!

    But why do CPUID and Intel Turbo boost Monitor both say my cpu is running at 2.8ghz ?
    I am NOT doubting what you say, its just tht everything i use to monitor my system, says otherwise.

    Im as confused as an eskimo in the desert.
    I'm not sure either =/

    as @dkillone says in his post: Problem is when running Prime95 the CPU stays turbo boosted at 2.3 to 2.6ghz. However, once Furmark is started at the same time, the CPU drops instantly to 798mhz....

    Perhaps you could check it out yourself and see if the same thing happends to you ?
    Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
    - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    - BIOS 205

  8. #68
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    2.6 GHz is the upper cap for TurboMode on the 2630QM on 2x2 cores. I say 2x2 because of hyper-threading. Due to variations, it fluctuates between about 2.3 and 2.6 GHz. The Furmark dropping it to 798 MHz is really confusing. Is there potentially a bug with Furmark? I have written my own high-stress floating point tests, and running them produces the speed results that @fuzon1337 quotes.

  9. #69
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Hey guys, I have the G73SW-A1 notebook. With 267.54 nvidia version. I am not having any problem with the notebook except when playing battlefield 3, it will freeze after playing around for 5-10minutes. I cant play Need for speed The RUN as well, due to the ancient driver version.

    Should I update to the latest 296.16 version? I am reluctant to update it due to many complaint about the 296.10 causing problem to the notebook. Since as mention earlier, the 296.16 version is made specifically for G series notebook and approved by asus, is it available to be downloaded in asus official website?

    In short, is it recommended to download the 296.16 for the G73SW-A1?

  10. #70
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    54
    Posts
    706

    Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    In fact, this feature, known as SpeedStep, was introduced in the days of the Pentium III (A LONG time ago).
    2630QM should clock all the way to 2.9 GHz if you've got a recent version of ACPI Thermal management installed: at least, switching linux kernels to one with a recent version of acpi did the trick for me (2.92GHz max now for one thread @100% load).

    Ah yes, the PIII...1998 doesn't seem too long ago! In fact my PIII-600 machine is still 100%...plays HALO quite well too!
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •