cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VG289Q won't turn on right away when PC starts - getting BIOS alarm

bhorv67
Level 8
Just purchased a VG289Q, have it connected to a Strix 1080ti / Z490f 10900k. Monitor is HDR on. At PC power on, the monitor doesn't turn on right away and I'm getting an alarm from the Bios there's no monitor attached. Once Windows starts, the monitor turns on.

I'm not bothered so much of the alarm, but I'm not able to access Bios settings as the monitor won't power on at this stage.

Appreciate any help. thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Gareth66
Level 8
In the Advanced section of the Bios, there is a Graphics setting that will allow you to set where your default display is connected (ie to your graphics card) - you need to change this setting.

bhorv67
Level 8
Primary display is set to PCIe. The VG289Q is using the DP connector on the 1080ti - it replaced another monitor also using DP, which turned on right away. I confirmed the primary display is set, yet I'm still getting the alarm at startup.
I have a second display using the DVI off the 1080ti. I disconnected the DP and tried starting up, the DVI display turns on (no alarm) and I can get into the bios. Once the DP is reconnected, the alarm happens.

Is there some setting on the VG289 that isn't set right?

bhorv67
Level 8
***ISSUE SOLVED***

My Strix 1080ti required a firmware update. Apparently the VG289Q runs either DP 1.3 or 1.4. It wasn't mentioned anywhere on the monitor specs. My previous monitor obviously used DP 1.2

bhorv67 wrote:
***ISSUE SOLVED***

My Strix 1080ti required a firmware update. Apparently the VG289Q runs either DP 1.3 or 1.4. It wasn't mentioned anywhere on the monitor specs. My previous monitor obviously used DP 1.2

I have a similar issue. Did you get the firmware from Asus or Nvidia?

Glad youre sorted !
But woah I find that situation you decribed pretty alarming
Tell me plz at unboxing - was there any warning to you about having to upgrade firmware in your manual ?
I have a ASUS TUF Gaming VG247Q1A delivery on the way and I was hoping it would be a just plug & play setup ... now Im going to scour that manual before I touch any power plugs
Please advise asap if you easily found and DLed the firmware for that and maybe link me to it plz by reply?
- I have a horrible feeling my setup is going to be a pain where there are no windows
btw & fyi
Im new to this forum  OMG I have never seen so many issues with firmware listed as in this forum - have I gone from the acer frying pan into the Asus Fire ??

BobStockdale
Level 7

I have a similar issue. I've been running dual Asus monitors for 5 years. Primary is still good. Secondary(Right side) began failing. I replace it with a VG289Q and when I update my OS (Arcolinux) that requires a reboot this new monitor doesn't come on. I have to unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in. I never had this problem with the old monitor.  Both displays are using Display port connections. Could this be a problem with the display, the cable or something else?