cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG GX701 Overheating while “asleep”

Seteva
Level 7
I have all my power settings to do what they should. When I close the lid, hit the power or sleep button, all of those are set to “go to sleep”. However when I close my lid, I skull hear the CPU running every 30 min or so. My wireless mouse is turned OFF at night, by the power button. This morning I woke up and the laptop was so hot I could barely touch it. The only program that was open in the background was Chrome and the origin app sign on. No games or anything else. The laptop is just a couple weeks old so I haven’t put a whole lot on it yet. I just want to make sure I don’t have a dud. I know that sleeping is not completely **** down and that it will wake up quick, but it shouldn’t be running hot like this. Other mornings it’s not hot like today, but it’s still warm like I had just used it. On a side note, 30 min ago, I chose to put it in hibernate mode and left the lid open and walked away. I just now heard something kick in and run and the keyboard lit up. In hibernate mode, that should not happen. Is this a known type of issue? I’ve read about some other types that have some of this but not my model and not exactly my issue.*
3 REPLIES 3

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Seteva,
May you check and let your device enter "hibernate" mode after not using for a while?
When in sleep mode, most of the function is still working, so a lot of heat would be generated.
And when the lid is closed, the heat can not radiate from the keyboard, so the temperature will go up.
Thank you.

I'm with GX701LV ( running Win 10 Home ) and had a ton of problem with sleep mode on this laptop, I have NEVER seen anything like this before. So first it would turn on at night a few times and find it working in the morning (sometimes restarted). Sometimes I would close the lid, the laptop would go to sleep and wake up by itself after 30 seconds and I turn off the mice in every case. I did a lot of research and messed around the power options and finally was able to set the computer for proper sleep for a few weeks. Now for the past few days I have the same problem as mentioned above - when the laptop goes to sleep it continues to produce a lot of heat and at the beginning I did not know and it did overheat a few times and even could not wake it up. It seems like I work for this machine and not the opposite. I have 2 Lenovo laptops which behave normal when put to standby, so I don't think that anything should continue to work during sleep mode. Had also Toshiba, Dell and all running at win 10 and for the first time I see my laptop heating while asleep.

Now I see in the Event Viewer that from 3 days some Asus service is constantly crashing I start to wonder if this could be the problem?
Event ID :
- 7031 - The ASUS System Analysis service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 311 time(s).
- 1000 -Faulting application name: AsusSystemAnalysis.exe, version: 2.0.30.0, time stamp: 0x5fe97c9d/ Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x2bd748bf ;

I have a lot of applications and use the machine daily for work so I don't want to reinstall windows and would like some solution. But to be honest I don't think this would help, since I encountered the problems from the beginning and saw other posts about this Issues.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello vallantines,
May I know the version of your BIOS and ASUS System control interface V2 driver?
Please check if both of them are up to date as well.
Thank you.