cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar SE - cannot get 5.1 from digital out

guterm
Level 7
Dear Community,
I am trying to get 5.1 from Xonar SE via digital output on Windows 10.
I can enable 5.1 with analogue speaker out, but switching to digital forces 2 channels.
Card is connected to DTS-capable receiver over TOSLINK.
Documentation clearly shows example of digital audio output connected to receiver and 6 speakers, so I am hoping it's feasible...
Did anybody succeed at this? Any ideas or approaches?

Thanks all,

Vadim
7 REPLIES 7

mekler22
Level 7
guterm wrote:
Dear Community,
I am trying to get 5.1 from Xonar SE via digital output on Windows 10.
I can enable 5.1 with analogue speaker out, but switching to digital forces 2 channels.
Card is connected to DTS-capable receiver over TOSLINK.
Documentation clearly shows example of digital audio output connected to receiver and 6 speakers, so I am hoping it's feasible...
Did anybody succeed at this? Any ideas or approaches?

Thanks all,

Vadim

Check here: https://maxedtech.com/xonar-best-audio-settings-guide/

and here: https://www.infopackets.com/news/10456/how-fix-asus-xonar-wont-play-51-surround-sound-win10

But... be aware that Xonar SE does not support uni xonar drivers. So I would try to contact Asus Support and let them figure it out.

Cryptobling
Level 7

I have the same issue. Were you ever able to work out how to get 5.1

I have the same issue. For my particular setup, not having 5.1 over S/PDIF renders my Xonar SE useless.

ASUS should get its drivers sorted out.

I don’t think Asus is going to address this issue. Apparently not worth their time. 

Asus has sent my ticket to HQ. I explained them that enabling "HDMI/SPDIF audio passthrough" in whatever app you are using to enable 5.1 sound over SPDIF doesn't cut it as not all applications support this passthrough and any processing of sound, even the volume is passed on to your receiver, rendering your asus card pretty much useless. I'm hoping they will update their drivers. Keep you posted.

Thanks, appreciate any feedback.

Kris2
Level 8

If that's the case, then ASUS will no longer be worth my cash, nor will be it be considered a thrustworthy supplier in my professional life. This just needs to work.