cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble switching from manual voltage to adaptive on X299 using AVX offsets

willdearborn
Level 7
I have a core i9-7960x on an ASUS X299-E Strix board and I dialed in a 4.5Ghz overclock with manual voltage. After testing I was able to get it stable for non-AVX loads @ 1.170v and then I did more testing and found good offsets for AVX and AVX512 using the same voltage. So I was able to get the whole system stable @ 4.5Ghz a manual voltage of 1.170v. Testing during each load of SSE, AVX, AVX2, AVX512 all stable at this voltage.

The problem starts when I try and move to adaptive voltage. Using that same 1.170v its still stable for non-AVX, but as soon as I test for AVX and the offset kicks in and the clock drops, so does the voltage and I get errors. I'd really like to use adaptive voltage but I am having trouble figuring out how to get the voltage to stay at that same 1.170v under load for the various AVX loads. I thought that the voltage would stay the same under load while only dropping the clock speed for AVX loads but this is not the case. Both the clock speed and voltage drop simultaneously making it unstable. Is there a way to have the voltage only drop when not under load? Or am I looking at this the wrong way? Thanks for any help.
2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello, more voltage is often required when using an adaptive voltage due to accounting for load transitioning.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello, more voltage is often required when using an adaptive voltage due to accounting for load transitioning.

Thanks. But wouldn't it then be too much voltage for non-AVX loads? Not to mention I am at highest temps I am comfortable with already.

And really the problem is that the voltage drops alongside the clock speed. If the clock speed drops to X then the voltage drops to Y. Is there a way to keep the voltage constant under any load (AVX and non-AVX)? If the CPU is under load of any type shouldn't the voltage stay the same? Only to drop when not under load? I just don't understand why it would drop to a different level because of the type of load. Is there a setting to change this?