cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark Hero IO shield LEDs will not turn on

Weaver2
Level 7
Hello, I believe the CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO is supposed to have LEDs on the IO shield. However, regardless of what I do to Aura Sync in Armoury Crate the IO shield lights do not turn on.

There is a secondary light on top of what I presume is the X570 heatsink near the bottom right of the board which does turn on.

Note this is a new build and a fresh install of Windows onto a newly formatted drive. There was no prior Aura software installed on this machine.

Photo of IO shield light

Photo of bottom light:

Things I've tried so far

• Various aura settings in the bios
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling armoury crate
  • Updating the Dark Hero bios
  • Ensuring Armoury Crate has all devices updated

I have doubts the board itself is faulty - everything seems to be working perfectly fine and I'm achieving great overclocking performance. But I suppose anything is possible. My only thought is, if the LEDs on the shield are attached via some cabling perhaps it simply came loose somehow and I could remove the shield to look. If possible I could do that this weekend.

Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Additionally if there's any further information you think would help I'd be happy to oblige.

Thank you for your time, have a nice day 🙂
2 REPLIES 2

Weaver2
Level 7
I got it! It was, indeed, a loose very slightly loose cable under the plastic shroud. Thankfully the shroud is mounted independently of any sort of VRM heat sink and removing it just to push the cable in a bit was very easy and didn't involve the destruction of any thermal pads.

If anyone has this same problem for me the issue was the cable connected to the LEDs on the actual shroud itself not the one connected to the motherboard.

How did you remove the IO Shield Cover? Is it possible to do without uninstalling the motherboard?