cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance with Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) Memory Issue

StealthFighter
Level 7
Good Morning All,

My Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) is displaying the Q-Code F9 quite often. I purchased Corsair Vengenance RGB Pro 16 GB 4600MHz C18 Kit. Currently running the latest 3204 version of the BIOS. Sometimes the motherboard boots fine and most times it doesn't post the first time. I have change several setting but have not been about to get the motherboard to boot constantly without posting the F9 code. Looking for suggests. I have included picture of my current configuration/memory specs on this post. Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
For the most part, it is the CPU's IMC that determines how successfully you can run overclocked memory speeds.

XMP and DOCP being overclocks and not guaranteed.

You can check general platform speeds and sweet spots before you buy memory.

Anything above 3800 will have your FCLK running below 1:1

I'd try and get 3800MHz stable...

MeanMachine
Level 13
The Ryzen 9 3950X officially supports up to 3200MHz so achieving 4600MHz would be a tall order for the IMC.
I haven't seen an XMP or any other SPD profile for easy Overclocking that works for 4600MHz.

Your core voltage at 1.449V is too high (max should be 1.300v for 4.3GHz) as is your DRAM voltage at 1.504V.

Not a good Overclock.

Stress test your system properly and consider returning the RAM you have for a kit that are listed on the MB QVL, that are tested and known to work.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Try to get 3600 or 3800 mhz with tight timings instead of going for max clocks right away. The 5000 series is more sensitive to dual rank and timings than to mhz and I assume it is the same for the 3000 series. There are DRAM calculators for ryzen so if you manage to identify the memory chips type then you can use the calculator to find a good starting point. If not using a calcualtor then I would probably start with 3600mhz and 19-19-19-42 with 1.35 volts and take it from there. E.g. set timings and voltage and stability test. If it fails loosen timings a bit or tighten if it passes, but do it in babysteps. Ef it seems almost stable, consider bumping the DRAM voltage to 1.4v.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
For best performance you want to be running 1:1 ratio with the FClock (FCLK). Aim for 3600-3866 with that kit and dial down timings from there.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

iamacow
Level 7
I was on the forums looking at 3204 BIOS results and I come across this thread. I think there is a bit if miss information I will clear up for people. reading this in the future.

1: The reason why the core voltage is so high is because it is set to AUTO. This is to achieve the AMD Boost. It will go up to 1.5v. I also agree this is high, but its fine since this is AMD DEFAULT value. Personally I reached 4.3Ghz (3800X) and 4.6Ghz (5800X) All-Core OC with 1.35v. Seems fairly standard. But I wouldn't go around changing other things while trying to overclocking memory. It is hard enough on its own. Adding more factors will makes worse.

1: Ryzen does truly benefits from a 1:1 Ratio with the FLCK. I wrote a article about it last year. Not sure if I can link this so I won't. That being said Zen2 (3000 series) tops out at 1900Mhz / DDR4 3800 and Zen3 (5000 series) 2000~ / DDR 4000. I personally managed 2022~ with a 5800X but it ended up making me raise the memory timings higher than I wanted to match giving me worse results. In any case while you can run 4600+, it is actually counter productive for Ryzen CPUs (unless! you can get DDR4 5000 to boot, which I cannot on my X570 Hero even with 1 DIMM).

2: Anything above DDR4 3600~ on Ryzen Zen2/3 is no longer plug-n-play. You will need to play around with the voltages and sub-timings. While I had good lucky just enabling XMP (DOCP) at 4400 and leaving everything on Auto, this does not always work.

3: As discussed before while going above 3800 is counter productive for the OP as this user has a 3950X (Zen2), you can still either run say 3800 CL14 without much issue or If you really want to run a t 4600 (since you paid for it) ,you will need to start low at like 3600 and work your way up. Validate with Memtest86 every time. It will take a few afternoons but its easy to achieve.

To do this Enable XMP or manually type in all your timings.

next Set the voltages as following.
SOC: 1.125v
DRAM: Up to 1.5v - Personally I leave at the XMP voltage but for 4600 its probably like 1.45v by default.
VDDG CCD 1.075
VDDG IOD 1.075
CLDO VDDP 1.050
PLL 1.8v

Put the FLCK to Auto. Boot into Memtest86 and validate before going higher.

While I am not a expect, I have reviewed my share of memory kits on this X570 Hero to know that all you need most of the time is more voltage and patience. Everyone here just doesn't want to help the op achieve 4600 and spent time saying so instead of giving helpful solutions.

If this was me, if I can't return the memory kit I would download Ryzen Memory Calculator and plug in those values for DDR4 3800 and call it a day. 3800 CL14 should be easy with that memory kit.

Hello,

I too am having an issue with my memory timing and settings in bios. I am was wondering if you would help me get my system working?

Below is what I have for hardware:
MB: ASUS AMD X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) w/ latest BIOS version 3601
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Vermeer 12-Core 3.7 GHz
RAM: G.SKILL DDR4 4600 F4-4600C18D-16GTZR
GPU: EVGA FTW3 3080 Ti
AIO: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R AIO

After I set AI Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P profile, which sets memory to 4600 18-22-22-22-42 v1.45. My system will reboot a couple times and end up back in safe boot mode and go back into Bios for me to make changes again.

After I ran across this post, I tried messing around with the other voltage settings like you suggested above, but still haven't had much luck. I only assume the hardware I have should work just fine with this RAM. I first tried 4800 memory and ended up returning that for this 4600 RAM but still having issues. I did this only because I found on this site that it was supported with my MB and CPU.

I never had this problem before, with Memory. I normally just set the XMP or now D.O.C.P profile and it works. I’m stuck. I almost want to say it could be my MB or maybe something else hardware wise or bad ram? Or is it really needing more manual voltage settings to achieve the memories full potential? If that is the case, I don't really know what else then to change in Bios to make that work.

Please let me know if your able to help. I would be willing to jump on a call or send pictures of hardware settings or bios if that helps.

Thank you for your time.

Cody

codyamorgan wrote:
RAM: G.SKILL DDR4 4600 F4-4600C18D-16GTZR

To me, it appears this memory is designed for Intel and it does not appear on the AMD approved RAM QVL by anyone (three lists, one by motherboard manufacturer, one by AMD, one by RAM manufacturer, you want to be on one of these). If you can, return it, get G.skill AMD approved RAM in speed ranges of DDR4@3200-4000 with 3200-3800 being sweet spot.
https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1536659142/F4-4600C18D-16GTZR-Qvl