cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XIII Hero - brand new mainboard and several problems

shark75
Level 7
Hi,

Today I installed the brand new Maximus XIII Hero (with my 10900k), but I'm not happy because I found several problems.

The biggest issue is that my Seagate FireCuda 520 SSD 1TB, M.2 is not found, so I'm not able to install the OS. I checked several entries in the BIOS, but no matter what I set, the M.2 is not found. The M.2 is installed in the upper M.2 slot.*

Update: In the meantime I tried another M.2 - same result, M.2 is not found.

Furthermore just one of my two USB 3.0 case connector are working - nearly identical problem with USB 2.0: if I connect the two USB 2.0 case connectors on the left onboard USB 2.0, then just one connector is working. If I use the second onboard, both USB2.0 are working.

BIOS version 0232 is already installed - I found no newer bios.*

It seems that the Maximus XIII Hero is not ready for the market - unless my M XIII H is broken.*

I had no problem with my previous mainboard M XII Hero, so i'm sure it is due to the mainboard or bios.

19 REPLIES 19

Saltgrass
Level 13
Give me some time to find a user manual for your system. It might be a particular M.2 slot is turned off or not set for the type of M.2 drive you have.

The M.2 drive you have appears to be a PCIe 4 device. With the 10900K you only have PCIe 3..

Look in your Owner's Manual under Storage specs. It covers which M.2 slots work with which processors. It appears the M.2_1 is disabled with a 10th generation.. The other 3 M.2 slots should work with the 10th generation and PCIe 3
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

shark75
Level 7
You're right - I checked the manual and M.2_1 is only for the 11th CPUs. Unfortunately the M.2_2 is not working together with my 10900k. This is strange...
If I use M.2_3 or M.2_4 it's OK, the FireCuda is found by my motherboard.

So I have the problem that both M.2 will not found on M.2_2 and additional the USB problem 😞

Update regarding my USB problem:

It must be a firmware issue (maybe bug) because ALL onboard USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 are working within Windows! Within BIOS only one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 are working.

shark75 wrote:
Update regarding my USB problem:

It must be a firmware issue (maybe bug) because ALL onboard USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 are working within Windows! Within BIOS only one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 are working.

Does the FireCuda mention anything about backward compatibility with PCIe3?

The 11th generation processors are supposed to be out this quarter. If you decided to go with one of those, you problems may just go away.. Not all vendors are yet selling the Z590 boards, perhaps your experience is why..

As far as the USB ports, the Bios may be set up to not start those up until after the system has booted. It might be related to a fast startup type setting or something regarding when to start them.. That system has USB 3.2/C Gen 1 and Gen 2 ports. I just bought an external USB C Gen 2 drive and it is fast. 😉

Since my Z490 is less than a year old, I will probably jump to the 11th Gen processor but the Z590 is going to have to wait.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Does the FireCuda mention anything about backward compatibility with PCIe3? Â*

Yes, the FireCuda works in M2.4 and M2.2 (for M2.2 you have to modify the BIOS entry).

shark75
Level 7
The M.2_2 is now working, but I had to configure the following setting:

*ADVANCED - ONBOARD DEVICES CONFIGURATION - CPU PCIE Configuration Mode = PCIEX16_1 + PCIEX16_2 + M.2_2

shark75 wrote:
The M.2_2 is now working, but I had to configure the following setting:

*ADVANCED - ONBOARD DEVICES CONFIGURATION - CPU PCIE Configuration Mode = PCIEX16_1 + PCIEX16_2 + M.2_2

Thank you~~~you are the best.

Zardoc
Level 10
Hi,

If it's any relief to you I just built a Strix 590 board and ran into similar issues like you. I also got caught with the m.2 issue in slot 1 but I had read about it and had forgotten.
I've been building machines for over 20 years and this is not new. All board makers want to put out their material ASAP and if it's up to a certain percentage functional they will roll out.

The issues usually aren't major but are a real pain and waste of time for the buyer. If you buy the same board 6 months later by that time firmwares and bios updates usually have the board up to standards.

On boot, you can hear the woofer making sounds. Boot times aren't that great with Windows. In fact they are slower than my Z490 board. :rolleyes:

Unless it's a bad board (I would be surprised) Asus make solid boards, it's all up to MS and board makers to tune up the boards. :cool:

mikeyosm
Level 7
I'm glad I found this thread since I just bought the same board stepping up from a z490 asrock. I have some issues with my board in particular coil whine from the VRM area.
Im using a 10850K proc and have to turn off MCE and turbos in the BIOS to reduce the coil whine otherwise it's intolerable. Not hat happy with Z590 atm especially when using 10th gen proc.