cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE ...Doesn't take 128GB of 3200 RAM in 8 DIMMs?

DERBYBLOOD
Level 7
Hey guys,

Need some confirmation. I have a ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA and currently, successfully use Corsair Dominator Platinum 128GB 8 x 16 3200MHz CL16
in all 8 DIM slots...No problems....

BUT....due to MOBO PCIe layout think I might need to switch to the ARR6E ENCORE.....but searching the QVL list for the Encore....I am not seeing the Encore
supporting this kit of 128GB of RAM.....Am I seeing that right? The Encore boasts 256GB RAM capacity on an 8 DIM MOBO....how can it NOT take 3200 CL16 of 128GB ?????

Please help, REALLY confused on this compatibility issue. I thought these 2 mobos were identical EXCEPT for differing overall RAM capacity!

Thanks!!
1 REPLY 1

BigJohnny
Level 13
DERBYBLOOD wrote:
Hey guys,

Need some confirmation. I have a ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA and currently, successfully use Corsair Dominator Platinum 128GB 8 x 16 3200MHz CL16
in all 8 DIM slots...No problems....

BUT....due to MOBO PCIe layout think I might need to switch to the ARR6E ENCORE.....but searching the QVL list for the Encore....I am not seeing the Encore
supporting this kit of 128GB of RAM.....Am I seeing that right? The Encore boasts 256GB RAM capacity on an 8 DIM MOBO....how can it NOT take 3200 CL16 of 128GB ?????

Please help, REALLY confused on this compatibility issue. I thought these 2 mobos were identical EXCEPT for differing overall RAM capacity!

Thanks!!

I think it may just be a case of an out of date QVL list. 256GB support just came in with cascadelakeX CPUs and a lot of the QVL is based on kits and there arent many 8 stick kits out there with decent speed and latency. I run 64GB which I find to be plenty in an 8x8 3600 CL16.

My guess is its most likely they just havent update the QVL as whats poted is from 2019/10/15 so pretty much the one and only at launch.
It also says the BIOS 0401 will run all chips from 79XX to 109XX and I cant tell you with 100% certainty that an R6EE on BIOS 0401 will NOT run a 10980XE, takes at least 0603 and preferably 0702 at a minimum. I tried the 901 but all I got from that was a chip that runs hotter with a performance loss with the included microcode although the notes say
-Improved system performance
-Improved system stability
Still stable but hotter with a loss of performance.