cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M2 drive not seen by Z590-E in the PCIe 4.0 slots

Mike43
Level 7
Hi,

I recently purchased the Z590-E motherboard. Overall I'm very happy with it, but there's issue I can't figure out.

I have a Samsung 980 Pro M2 drive, but for some reason the motherboard won't recognize the drive when put in the upper slot that support PCIe 4.0, ie. the M2_2 slot (or M2_1 for that matter).

However, the M2 drive is detected, when inserted into the M2_4 slot. However, this one does not support PCIe 4.0. I use a 10600K CPU as a placeholder, until I can purchase the 11900K. But as long as the PCIe 4.0 slots don't work, I can't get any benefits from my PCIe 4.0 M2 drive.

Is there a setting in the bios I've overlooked, or is this a bug in the bios?

Thanks! :)*
15 REPLIES 15

Zardoc
Level 10
Hi Mike,

M.2_1 cannot be used. Saved for CPU Tiger Lake.

PCIe 4.0 will be activated with 11th gen processor.

Use either M.2_2 or M.2_3

Jesseinsf
Level 10
Mike43 wrote:
Hi,

I recently purchased the Z590-E motherboard. Overall I'm very happy with it, but there's issue I can't figure out.

I have a Samsung 980 Pro M2 drive, but for some reason the motherboard won't recognize the drive when put in the upper slot that support PCIe 4.0, ie. the M2_2 slot (or M2_1 for that matter).

However, the M2 drive is detected, when inserted into the M2_4 slot. However, this one does not support PCIe 4.0. I use a 10600K CPU as a placeholder, until I can purchase the 11900K. But as long as the PCIe 4.0 slots don't work, I can't get any benefits from my PCIe 4.0 M2 drive.

Is there a setting in the bios I've overlooked, or is this a bug in the bios?

Thanks! :)*

You need 11th Gen processors for it to work.

Thanks for the replies.

The manual for Z590-E states that the M2_1 is for 11. gen CPUs only, however slot M2_2 supports both 10th and 11th gen CPUs, yet the motherboard doesn't detect my 10600K CPU in the M2_2 slot. Am I missing something here?

Thanks again for the help.

Mike43 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

The manual for Z590-E states that the M2_1 is for 11. gen CPUs only, however slot M2_2 supports both 10th and 11th gen CPUs, yet the motherboard doesn't detect my 10600K CPU in the M2_2 slot. Am I missing something here?

Thanks again for the help.

Well Mike I'm at a loss. I have the same CPU as you and my Samsung m.2 was detected immediately.

Here is a link for 490s that might help out.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044083/

I have a Z590-f and a WD SN750 drive and 10700k. So the WD SN750 is PCIE 3.0. It wasn't recognised in M2_2 either no matter what I did and had to move the drive to the M2_3 slot for it to work...Seems like an issue with the M2_2 slot on these boards, could also be an issue with the M2_1 slot also but have no way of testing it at present...

Thanks for the replies.

Saltgrass, I use regular high speed RAM - 3400mhz cl14. I've entered all my system specs into my profile, for some reason they disappeared.

It seems like there is an issue with the motherboard, and something Asus should look into (bug, or lack of bios compability with certain M2 drives?).

Hopefully Asus is aware of this issue, and can fix this before the 11th gen CPUs from Intel are made available.

pmlfrew wrote:
I have a Z590-f and a WD SN750 drive and 10700k. So the WD SN750 is PCIE 3.0. It wasn't recognised in M2_2 either no matter what I did and had to move the drive to the M2_3 slot for it to work...Seems like an issue with the M2_2 slot on these boards, could also be an issue with the M2_1 slot also but have no way of testing it at present...

I have the same problem on my new z590-e with a 10700k. My Crucial P3 PCIE3 drive isn't recognized in BIOS in slot 2, but works fine in slot 3.

Saltgrass
Level 13
I was just wondering if you are using Optane memory?

Maybe it has to do with where those M.2 slots are connected to the system. There are some on the chipset and some on the processor..

M.2_4 does appear to be the only one that supports SATA mode..

@Zardoc, if you have a 980, your system spec listing needs to be updated..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
@Zardoc, if you have a 980, your system spec listing needs to be updated..

No 970 but we are talking about board seeing the drive rather than not detecting pcie 4.0 because there is no pcie 4.0 with 10th gen cpu.

The difference is that my drive was already activated from another board. I usually activate them with a USB connection. This way, I never end up with a drive not being identified.

Problem is that you can't activate if that's the only board you have 😞