cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590-F Sound Issues - Optical Cable

pmlfrew
Level 8
Hi,

Recently purchased a ROG Strix Z590-F motherboard but I am having issues with the sound. I have my amp connected to the computer via an optical cable. Randomly however the sound will switch to a hissing crackling sound and the only way I can get it to work again is by disabling the "Realtek Digital Output" and re-enabling it only for the same issue to happen again. The cable is fine as it worked fine in another computer attached to the same amp. This happens with all sound sources as far as I can tell, so games you tube etc... My sound drivers are up to date as far as I can tell. This has become extremely annoying.

Thanks

Paul
28 REPLIES 28

Zardoc
Level 10
If you are using the USB 4080 series audio (which I think you are) There is only one set of drivers available so far. Yes they have issues. In my case, a very slow boot because they don't load quickly. I am not using digital output and my sound is OK. I have opened a ticket to push Asus to get on Realtek's back to get a new driver ASAP.

Saltgrass
Level 13
One thing I remember about Optical output which I use on other devices is sometimes the connects don't make correctly so make sure the cable is plugged in so it locks in place.

I suppose you have checked the cable for it capability as far as higher data rates?

Have you tried disabling the other outputs?

Any sound enhancements enabled, such as Spatial sound?

If you have either normal speakers attached or a headset, is the sound normal with those outputs?

Could it possibly be the Amp and its capabilities.. Any updates or firmware available for it?

I still believe some of these problems are related to running a 10th Gen processor. Since the board does state it is compatible with 10th generation, certain capabilities may be limited.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I updated my drivers following this post : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118522-DRIVERS-Realtek-Audio-(MB-Intel-Z590-amp-AMD-TRX40) and thought the issue was solved but the problem still happens all be it with a longer frequency of occurrence. I did not install the realtek control panel again or any of the Sonic software as it mentions in the post.

I never had any problems with my previous motherboard, the amp and the cable. Hopefully I can find a coax to phono cable and I will try that to see if it suffers the same issue.

Hopefully it is a driver issue and will be fixed

pmlfrew wrote:
I updated my drivers following this post : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118522-DRIVERS-Realtek-Audio-(MB-Intel-Z590-amp-AMD-TRX40) and thought the issue was solved but the problem still happens all be it with a longer frequency of occurrence. I did not install the realtek control panel again or any of the Sonic software as it mentions in the post.

I never had any problems with my previous motherboard, the amp and the cable. Hopefully I can find a coax to phono cable and I will try that to see if it suffers the same issue.

Hi pmlfrew, I don't know what you mean by updated drivers. These are the only drivers available for the new USB 4080 codec. Did you try to uninstall all drivers and remove them from the store, reboot and try with basic drivers to see if sound works ok?

Zardoc wrote:
Hi pmlfrew, I don't know what you mean by updated drivers. These are the only drivers available for the new USB 4080 codec ...

Hi,

This is wrong, the drivers package from your motherboard support page are the 6.3.9600.2276 WHQL drivers package version while the drivers package I offer from my thread are the 6.3.9600.2277 WHQL drivers package version.

pmlfrew wrote:

Hi,

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard with ALC408x codec, so :

You need Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek USB Audio (MB | Intel 5xx & AMD 5xx/TRX40).

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

If your DPC latency issue persists, in order to try to fix it, follow this process (also visible in TIPS at the bottom of all my audio drivers threads) :

1) Disable hibernation :

- Right-click Windows Start button then click Search.
- Search for cmd. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator.
- If/When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
- At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and then press Enter then close the Command Prompt.

2) Enable MSI (Message Signaled-based Interrupts) mode on all your supported devices (see the column "supported modes") with MSI Mode Utility (Right click on "MSI_util_v3.exe" > Run as administrator), then Apply, then close MSI Mode Utility & restart your PC

Note : If that doesn't fix or reduce your issue, follow your CLEANUP process then install/use the drivers package from your motherboard support page then open a ticket with ASUS Support (and/or you can post in ROG Care section : ROG Care).

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

This is wrong, the drivers package from your motherboard support page are the 6.3.9600.2276 WHQL drivers package version while the drivers package I offer from my thread are the 6.3.9600.2277 WHQL drivers package version.

Yes, you are right. Not often you see a n update difference by 1 number.

In my case, both drivers cause same issues. I sent a boot trace to Asus. They acknowledged that there are issues with the driver.

Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound Intel motherboard, so :

You need Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS Intel MB) from the first post of this thread.

- Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process
- Use this SS3 Cleaner tool (Right click on "A-Volute_SS3_Cleanup.exe" > Run as administrator) then restart your PC
- Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process

For the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

In addition, in order to try to fix your DPC latency issue, follow this process (also visible at the bottom of all my audio drivers thread, in TIPS) :

1) Disable hibernation :

- Right-click Windows Start button then click Search.
- Search for cmd. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator.
- If/When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
- At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and then press Enter then close the Command Prompt

2) Enable MSI (Message Signaled-based Interrupts) mode on all your supported devices (see the column "supported modes") with MSI Mode Utility (Right click on "MSI_util_v3.exe" > Run as administrator), then Apply, then close MSI Mode Utility & restart your PC.

Ataemonus
Level 11
Have you tried fiddling with the ErP Ready and other power management stuff ? I had the same issue even with the SB AE-7 on the Z590 Hero, and I played with those option, as well as PCIe power management in BIOS, set most to Auto or Enabled, issue resolved.

I have the exact same issue, i.e. sound just turns into static after a few minutes - usually 10-15 - in games.

I have a Z590-F which I initially used with my Sound Blaster Z with no issues. I then decided to give the onboard Realtek audio a try to save a PCI slot.

I am connected to my receiver by the optical cable on the ASUS onboard panel, and was using the 2276 drivers, and then the 2277 ones from MoKiChU. Issue was the same. Cable and receiver both are working perfectly.

So, I uninstalled all the Realtek drivers and components, as well as removing drivers via DriverStoreExplorer and started using the SPDIF Interface (Realtek USB2.0 Audio) option without installing any drivers to see if that makes a difference. It didn't.

If anyone can offer help here, it would be appreciated as at the moment, I just can't use this ASUS onboard device.