cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.1 Gen2 not working properly (Dockingstation speed) on Strix Z490-E Gaming

nordx
Level 7
Hello,

i've got a ASUS Strix Z490-E Gaming Motherboard and i want to use the Red ports on the back (USB 3.1 Gen2) with my dockingstation from Sharkoon (which also got a USB 3.1 Gen2 Port) or my new ICY BOX IB-121CL-C31 Dockingstation (also USB3.1 Gen2 - i bought it just for this problem, because i thought its maybe the Sharkoons-Dockingstations fault! It isnt.).

Im getting a very low write speed (40MB/s) with the Dockingstation on this port. If i'm using the USB 3.0 Ports on the front of my pc, it works perfect (max. writespeed, harddisk limit - 135MB/s).

Anyone has the same problem or does someone know a solution for this?

I already tried installing windows 10 completly new (on another ssd for testing purpose), with just the drivers of asus installed, didnt change anything, same behavior!

Kind regards,
nordx
2 REPLIES 2

nordx
Level 7
ok... after several days of finding out the problem, 30 mins after writing my first post, i have found out the problem - haha.

its just the cable. It also has to be USB 3.1 Gen2 specifications.

i used different cables (USB-C Types, USBC-USBA), seems all of them dont have the Gen2 specification. 😞

I unpacked the original ICY BOX cable to be sure and tried it, and this seems to work now.

Oh my god.

i can just say: USE THE ****ING RIGHT CABLE >_< 😉

Problem solved!

Saltgrass
Level 13
I was just wondering, does the cable that came with the dock have any special markings to designate it capabilities like Thunderbolt cables have? Any color differences on the different cables?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200