New ROGer Array edplaysdrums PC Specs
    edplaysdrums PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair Dark Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 5950x
    Memory (part number)CMK128GX4M4E3200C16
    Graphics Card #1TUF 3080 OC
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    Power SupplyROG STRIX 850W

Just had another "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" whilst running on some spare ram running I had running on defaults so pretty sure it's not a memory problem. Also it completely switches off the second screen when this happens, so maybe the card is resetting itself? Is there anything I can run in the background to do a diagnostic when this happens?

So what should I check now? Could try RMAing the GPU but I had the exact same issue with a 3090 so seems unlikely to be a GPU error...

If the PSU was bad could a voltage drop on a rail make the card reset itself?

Expletivium are you running 2 or 4 sticks of ram? Do you have 2 displays? If so, are they running on HDMI or DP? Using G Sync? I'm trying to find similarities/differences in our setup...
    Last edited by edplaysdrums; 03-10-2021 at 02:02 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by edplaysdrums View Post
    Just had another "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" whilst running on some spare ram running I had running on defaults so pretty sure it's not a memory problem. Also it completely switches off the second screen when this happens, so maybe the card is resetting itself? Is there anything I can run in the background to do a diagnostic when this happens?

So what should I check now? Could try RMAing the GPU but I had the exact same issue with a 3090 so seems unlikely to be a GPU error...

If the PSU was bad could a voltage drop on a rail make the card reset itself?

Expletivium are you running 2 or 4 sticks of ram? Do you have 2 displays? If so, are they running on HDMI or DP? Using G Sync? I'm trying to find similarities/differences in our setup...
    I am running 2 sticks of 16gigs G.Skill Trident Z for a total of 32gigs and they are in the proper slots. ( I am also noticing that people are using similar G.Skill ram it could be the RAM ) and yeah Recently I bought an Asus Pro monitor so I am running 2 Displayports to my GPU, I previously had a crappy Dell monitor on HDMI and that wasn't giving me any problems. I will have to test just using my main monitor and see if the problem continues.

We are not the only ones having this vague problem as there is a A lot of people experiencing this problem and more recently since January /February. It could also be Windows 10 Related with their newest updates. It's extremely difficult to pinpoint this problem and there is no other choice but to try and troubleshoot to see what works for people.
    See forums here:
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...vidia.3594431/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...m_medium=web2x
    https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...tters_2080_ti/
    https://linustechtips.com/topic/1167...vlddmkm-error/

Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa View Post
    Have you tried undervolting your gpu?

https://bjorn3d.com/2020/10/undervol...d-the-rtx3090/
    Also I have not tried undervolting my 2080 super, but I do use Evga Precision X1 to do boost lock when gaming to crash less.

New ROGer Array

Lightbulb I had this issue, Dark Hero + 5950X + RTX 2080.

I had this issue, Dark Hero + 5950X + RTX 2080.

Tried all sorts of things, various drivers, etc. initially I blamed Nvidia.

Well, for me at least uninstalling Armory Crate fixed it completely for me.

Hope it helps some people at least!

edplaysdrums PC Specs
    ProcessorRyzen 5950x
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15

Quote Originally Posted by Expletivium View Post
    I am running 2 sticks of 16gigs G.Skill Trident Z for a total of 32gigs and they are in the proper slots. ( I am also noticing that people are using similar G.Skill ram it could be the RAM ) and yeah Recently I bought an Asus Pro monitor so I am running 2 Displayports to my GPU, I previously had a crappy Dell monitor on HDMI and that wasn't giving me any problems. I will have to test just using my main monitor and see if the problem continues.

We are not the only ones having this vague problem as there is a A lot of people experiencing this problem and more recently since January /February. It could also be Windows 10 Related with their newest updates. It's extremely difficult to pinpoint this problem and there is no other choice but to try and troubleshoot to see what works for people.
    See forums here:
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...vidia.3594431/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...m_medium=web2x
    https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...tters_2080_ti/
    https://linustechtips.com/topic/1167...vlddmkm-error/

Wow I thought I was completely on my own with this problem, so it's a bit of a relief to hear this is a thing for other people (although I feel bad for them, obviously!), it might actually get addressed by NVidia/AMD/Microsoft now.

My ram is Corsair so doesn't seem like we have that in common either. I did try disconnecting one screen and the problem reoccurred so we can probably scratch that off the list too.

I'm starting to really suspect it may be a Windows 10 issue because when I first built the computer and installed a version of W10 that was relatively old these crashes happened constantly - and then after updating they became less frequent.

New ROGer Array polyh3dron PC Specs
    polyh3dron PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 5950X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C14Q-64GTZN
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 Founder's Edition
    Sound CardAvid Pro Tools MTRX Studio w/ Pro Tools HD Native Card
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG27UQ
    Storage #1Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB x2 in RAID 0 Config
    Storage #2WD Black 6TB HDD
    CPU CoolerEK Water Blocks Custom Loop
    CaseLian Li O11D XL
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime PX-1000
    Keyboard Das Keyboard 4 Professional
    Mouse Steelseries Sensei
    Headset Sennheiser GSP 600
    Mouse Pad Steelseries
    Headset/Speakers JBL LSR708p
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterEero Pro

Dark Hero / 5950X / 3090 FE not using riser / 64GB 4x16GB RAM here.

Since a recent Windows update in the past couple weeks, I have been experiencing intermittent graphic corruption on my Windows desktop. My GPU is not overclocked.

ROG Member Array

Okay my nvlddmkm crashing has gone away YAY! LOL Finally, the LAST Things I did to fix the problem was CHANGE The Monitor power cord to my Main Surge Protector+battery I know weird but I had it connected to Another port in the surge protector where it wasn't really protected and only pulled current from the main electrical outlet. I have the cyberpower LX1500GU so perhaps it was causing not the pull the correct Electrical Current? it was based on this guys post:
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...-this.3672319/

and the next thing I did was Restored default settings for this power plan under windows 10 "Edit Power Plan Settings"
    based on this post:
    https://www.instructables.com/How-to...vlddmkm-Error/

so for anyone experiencing this nvlddmkm it might be due to your electrical outlet not pulling enough power correctly to steadily run your computer. I would suggest try connecting a few things separated even if it means running an extension cord for your monitors or devices. Or perhaps connect your equipment to another electrical outlet? not sure but it's worth a try with the addition of Restoring default power plan settings in windows.

In addition there was a recent windows 10 update, perhaps that might of fixed it?, not sure
    Always keep your windows 10 up to date!

ALSO it was reported that Videocard RGB software like Armory Crate, Corsair icue, software like that causes those crashes and disabling the Videocard RGB fixes those problems.
    Last edited by Expletivium; 03-21-2021 at 09:49 PM.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
    Dark Hero / 5950X / 3090 FE not using riser / 64GB 4x16GB RAM here.

Since a recent Windows update in the past couple weeks, I have been experiencing intermittent graphic corruption on my Windows desktop. My GPU is not overclocked.
    Most obvious thing to do in that situation is to roll back, if you haven't already.

edplaysdrums PC Specs
    ProcessorRyzen 5950x
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15

Quote Originally Posted by Expletivium View Post
    Okay my nvlddmkm crashing has gone away YAY! LOL Finally, the LAST Things I did to fix the problem was CHANGE The Monitor power cord to my Main Surge Protector+battery I know weird but I had it connected to Another port in the surge protector where it wasn't really protected and only pulled current from the main electrical outlet. I have the cyberpower LX1500GU so perhaps it was causing not the pull the correct Electrical Current? it was based on this guys post:
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...-this.3672319/

and the next thing I did was Restored default settings for this power plan under windows 10 "Edit Power Plan Settings"
    based on this post:
    https://www.instructables.com/How-to...vlddmkm-Error/

so for anyone experiencing this nvlddmkm it might be due to your electrical outlet not pulling enough power correctly to steadily run your computer. I would suggest try connecting a few things separated even if it means running an extension cord for your monitors or devices. Or perhaps connect your equipment to another electrical outlet? not sure but it's worth a try with the addition of Restoring default power plan settings in windows.

In addition there was a recent windows 10 update, perhaps that might of fixed it?, not sure
    Always keep your windows 10 up to date!

ALSO it was reported that Videocard RGB software like Armory Crate, Corsair icue, software like that causes those crashes and disabling the Videocard RGB fixes those problems.
    Congrats mate! Glad you got it sorted out. Unfortunately I'm still battling with daily crashes. I tried disabling the time out thing, but that meant that the next crash just completely hung the computer until I hard-reset it.

I'm now trying the power options you suggested, so we'll see what happens with that. I think the next step will be to RMA the PSU.

New ROGer Array

just chiming in to say that that's a dream build for almost everyone. it sucks to see that you're having any issues at all with it

without reading through the entire thread, the only thing that seems lacking is the PSU.

edplaysdrums PC Specs
    ProcessorRyzen 5950x
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15

Quote Originally Posted by criznittle View Post
    just chiming in to say that that's a dream build for almost everyone. it sucks to see that you're having any issues at all with it

without reading through the entire thread, the only thing that seems lacking is the PSU.
    It really is a dream build - other than this issue I've been blown away by how well it runs. And it runs unbelievably quiet even when I'm working on big music sessions.

Out of interest do you say the PSU is lacking because it's only 850W or because of the model? I'm trading it in for a Corsair HX850, is that a better option?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast