Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Junior Member Array

Crosshair VIII Dark Hero new, 3204 BIOS is useless

Hi, I am just wondering, what did the company think, when they released this crappy 3204 BIOS? Absolutely awful... The memory system became unstable, I receive random shut downs, critical errors, WHEA, sometimes with 00 POST Code, when the only way to restart the board is to cut off the power supply. Sometimes takes ages to boot into Win, because there is no POST or there is an endless boot circle with various POST Code errors. There is no PBO activated, only PB and the XMP profile.

I have tried backflash one of the old, stable BIOS, but it does not work at all, it does not allow me to do it, I cannot use the old, stable one again. So, I am seeking advice, what to do, I want to get a rid off the crap. There was a good BETA BIOS in middle of Dec, it just worked fine.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Hello,

If you're getting stability issues with XMP then you might want to dial in the memory overclock. Memory instability from build to build normally indicates the overclock was conditional on the older BIOS too.

1. How were you testing memory stability on the previous build?

2. You need to state your memory kit.

3.WHEA errors also point to an unstable overclock.

4. You say flashback isn't work, in what manner? Are you renaming the cap file as instructed? Is the USB drive formatted to FAT32 and in the correct port?

ROG Junior Member Array

Thank you for the quick respond.

Right, so I have a BIOS flash back drive, I use it only for BIOS flash. It is FAT32 formatted, nothing has changed. BIOS file renamed, as stated. When I try the flashback, I receive a message. "Selected file not a proper BIOS!" I have saved all of the previous BIOSes for the mobo, so there cannot be problem with the BIOS files. I have tried to use the BIOS flashback button, it does no do anything, I am sure for the same reason.

I use TeamGroup T-Force Xtreem ARGB black, DDR4-3600, CL14 - 32 GB dual kit(B-Die ICs) and also a 5950X is installed into the mobo. For stability test, I have used Memtest86+ from bootable pendrive, also I tried Y-Cruncher and Prime95 for CPU stability test, and TM5 for memory test under Windows. I do encoding, around 6 hours per day, and there is no issue at all with DOC mod feature enabled.

By the way, there is no overclock in normal use, like games and idle state, only the memory XMP had been activated. I switched off the PBO, only the PB is enabled. I receive BSOD, random freezes, restarts, and black screen(00 or FF POST Code error) in idle status only. In games, everything is fine, under encoding, all good, all of the stability tests are running well for ages without error.

With BIOS version 3003 or the older 2601 everything was fine, I could push the memory beyond 4000MHz, if I wanted, but on 3800MHz with 1900 IF it was rock stable. There were two BETA BIOS also, those were stable too, but for memory OC, It needed more SOC and VDDG voltage.

It was stable before, also I had an MSI Tomahawk mobo until I received the Dark Hero, I use the same setup I used there. This madness started with the 3204 version BIOS. And I cannot understand, how it is possible, that under heavy load, there is no issue, after I leave the machine idle, and when I come back after half on hour, it has restarted, switched off, etc... On this morning, I could not make a successful boot for 15 mins. I needed to Clear the CMOS. After I loaded my saved profile, and everything was good again.
    No it is working since 6AM under AVX intense encoding, it does fine. But I bet, when I finish, and I start surfing on the internet, or just leave the machine as it is in idle, I will get a random issue again.

It is possible, with the new AGESA microcode came off, that my CPU has hardware issue, as it happened the first line of AMD CPUs. I am also thinking to write to the AMD support, and I will ask RMA.
    Last edited by mpowerph; 02-20-2021 at 08:36 AM.

New ROGer Array

I had very similar experience with random reboots, especially on system idle

I've managed to flashback normally using usb stick. Just formated it FAT32, copied over renamed bios and held that button for few seconds
    No other way to flashback a bios to older version, you can't do it from the bios itself. You need to use flashback USB port that is properly marked on your MBO backplate and then while the pc is turned off, you hold the flashback button that is also located on the mbo backplate for about 3 seconds and then the LED on the button will turn on and blink I think.. then just be patient. it takes few mins to finish

Also main thing is that you'll lose all your OC profiles this way that the bios will load defaults

I was also very dissapointed with the new bios and I even tried stock cpu settings, no pbo or anything, but didn't even bothered to turn of XMP profile

ROG Member Array

I'm in the same boat.
    Crosshair hero VIII non-wifi with 4 x 16GB Samsung C-die, I can't boot at it's rated speed 3200Mhz.
    I'm now at 3000Mhz memory speed but still it won't boot most of the time, F9 post code.

This board has serious issues, notably with 4 dimms high density memory installed.
    Actually the first bad product I get from Asus, I've been using Asus boards since AMD K5.

Cheers.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array xeizo PC Specs
    xeizo PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)HP i7-7500U 16GB 256GB NVMe
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorR9 5900X
    Memory (part number)32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3800MHz
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 ULTRA
    Sound CardMotu M2
    MonitorAOC 1440p 27" S-PLS
    Storage #11TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe
    Storage #2plenty
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax.black
    CaseNZXT H700
    Power SupplyCorsair RM850x
    Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown (50$ on sale)
    Mouse Steelseries Sensei RAW
    Headset Sennheiser HD600
    Mouse Pad Steelseries, hard
    Headset/Speakers Swissonic ASM5 active studio monitors (thomann.de)
    OS Windows10 Pro
    Network RouterAsus RT-N66U

I have the CH8 WiFi, latest bios is stable for me but I have dialed in everything manual.

Things to look out for causing instability is FMAX should be disabled, too much negative Curve Optimizer causes idle reboots and too much Boost Override causes idle reboots too.

This has been stable for a couple of weeks for me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZenTimings_Screenshot.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	87905
    R9 5900X - X570 Crosshair VIII Hero/WiFi(bios 3101) - 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB@3800 - Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.black - EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 ULTRA - NZXT H700 w. Chromax.black fans - Corsair RM850x - 1TB 970 Evo Plus

ROG Junior Member Array

Right... I managed to reflash the BIOS. I needed to use a smaller pendrive, it was not able to read the 32GB one.

I also found the reason of the restarts. I am sure, the new AMD AGESA caused those idle restarts, with the high boost frequencies. As I wrote it before, I do not use PBO, I use PB, with DOC, so I did not touch the Curve Optimiser.
    So, I have tested the boost frequencies with the newest, 3204 BIOS is 5045MHz with 1 core under load. Also, up to 3 core is still 5037MHz. And up to 6 cores, it is 4950MHz. U can check those with Ryzen Masters, HWInfo Effective clock, or CTR2.1, and just use Cinebench R20, and just set the threads for 1 core load to 1 thread, 3 core load to 3 threads, etc...

With the old BIOS' , these frequencies are much slower, on 3 core under load is only 4840MHz... Huge different, it is. So at least it is clear, my CPU is not enough for the new Agesa, and if I want to use my PC with the new BIOS', I need to switch off the precision boost too. I sad, honestly, I think, it is unacceptable. I will send a message for the AMD with these details, and have a look, what they gonna answer me. I got the CPU from the first batches, in the first week, so I was lucky, but maybe I was not lucky enough, and this will not be stable with the newest AGESA versions. This will affect the 5950X only, as that CPU has the highest factory boost frequency. The other models does 4950MHz or less with 1 core boost.
    Last edited by mpowerph; 02-21-2021 at 04:51 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by mpowerph View Post
    Right... I managed to reflash the BIOS. I needed to use a smaller pendrive, it was not able to read the 32GB one.

I also found the reason of the restarts. I am sure, the new AMD AGESA caused those idle restarts, with the high boost frequencies. As I wrote it before, I do not use PBO, I use PB, with DOC, so I did not touch the Curve Optimiser.
    So, I have tested the boost frequencies with the newest, 3204 BIOS is 5045MHz with 1 core under load. Also, up to 3 core is still 5037MHz. And up to 6 cores, it is 4950MHz. U can check those with Ryzen Masters, HWInfo Effective clock, or CTR2.1, and just use Cinebench R20, and just set the threads for 1 core load to 1 thread, 3 core load to 3 threads, etc...

With the old BIOS' , these frequencies are much slower, on 3 core under load is only 4840MHz... Huge different, it is. So at least it is clear, my CPU is not enough for the new Agesa, and if I want to use my PC with the new BIOS', I need to switch off the precision boost too. I sad, honestly, I think, it is unacceptable. I will send a message for the AMD with these details, and have a look, what they gonna answer me. I got the CPU from the first batches, in the first week, so I was lucky, but maybe I was not lucky enough, and this will not be stable with the newest AGESA versions. This will affect the 5950X only, as that CPU has the highest factory boost frequency. The other models does 4950MHz or less with 1 core boost.
    Please report on this if you get any info

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiom View Post
    I'm in the same boat.
    Crosshair hero VIII non-wifi with 4 x 16GB Samsung C-die, I can't boot at it's rated speed 3200Mhz.
    I'm now at 3000Mhz memory speed but still it won't boot most of the time, F9 post code.

This board has serious issues, notably with 4 dimms high density memory installed.
    Actually the first bad product I get from Asus, I've been using Asus boards since AMD K5.

Cheers.

F9 is a training code. Normally means FCLK instability. Either too high, or insufficient voltage (VSOC) for the given settings. The board failing POST stress tests is there to indicate there is an issue with the applied overclock.

Latest build with 3733 CAS14 with 4x8GB bdie here without issues. Boost behaviour will depend on the AGESA version.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 02-22-2021 at 07:55 AM.

New ROGer Array

I had exactly the same issues with 3204 bios went back to 3202 which seems to be much more stable. I hope asus sees this so they can fix it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast