cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G17 G712LV fans continue to run in sleep mode

aleha_84
Level 7
Hello!
Recently purchased this laptop model - G17 G712LV.

Faced the fact that when going into sleep mode, fans continue to work. Also continue to blink the hard drive LED indicator. The screen goes off and the keyboard backlight turns off too. In this situation, I have to turn off my laptop at night. This is not very convenient, as I use it for work (yes i'm using ROG for work due to its high performance).

Already checked a lot of configurations in power options and didnt found any solution. I think it happened after recent BIOS update but not sure. BIOS version: American Megatrends Inc. G712LV.311, 20210108

Has anyone encountered similar problems and how did you solve them?
5 REPLIES 5

SrAnthonyX
Level 8
It's a new feature introduced with the 311 bios update. This is because of when it's plugged in with AC, the laptop not go to sleep mode, and still running with screen off, and it was causing heating issue, so they solver by allowing the fan on. If you want the laptop to go sleep mode, unplug the ac and it will sleep well. Btw, I found that if it in balance mode, go to sleep too.

I hope I'll help you a little bit.

Regards

SrAnthonyX wrote:
It's a new feature introduced with the 311 bios update. This is because of when it's plugged in with AC, the laptop not go to sleep mode, and still running with screen off, and it was causing heating issue, so they solver by allowing the fan on. If you want the laptop to go sleep mode, unplug the ac and it will sleep well. Btw, I found that if it in balance mode, go to sleep too.

I hope I'll help you a little bit.

Regards

Yes it helped!
Unplugging AC switched it to "Balanced" mode. With plugged in AC laptop switchs to "Performance" mode. Is there any options\parameters I can change to allow it to go to sleep mode with pugged in AC? I found it weird.

The processor cores are heated to a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius in idle mode. And cooling system works loud. I bought myself an extra fan stand. It helped drop a couple of degrees.

aleha_84 wrote:
Yes it helped!
Unplugging AC switched it to "Balanced" mode. With plugged in AC laptop switchs to "Performance" mode. Is there any options\parameters I can change to allow it to go to sleep mode with pugged in AC? I found it weird.

The processor cores are heated to a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius in idle mode. And cooling system works loud. I bought myself an extra fan stand. It helped drop a couple of degrees.

You can change the modes in the 'Armoury Creator' app, just press the rog button, or with the 'fan' logo button, and it has to switch automatically. If not, probably you have to install all of this software. I recomend use the app, 'MyAsus' from Microsoft Store and install the necessary software about Asus.

SrAnthonyX wrote:
You can change the modes in the 'Armoury Creator' app, just press the rog button, or with the 'fan' logo button, and it has to switch automatically. If not, probably you have to install all of this software. I recomend use the app, 'MyAsus' from Microsoft Store and install the necessary software about Asus.

Armoury Crate and MyAsus were already preinstalled on this laptop. Yes i know i can change power modes there, but I dont really like to much the idea that some software controls my settings. Especially it controls sleep mode. So i cant put it to real sleep in "Performance" mode and should unplug AC cable in nighttime.

Roy8929
Level 7

Hi, I have an Asus G713 with a Ryzen 9 and the 4060. I had the same problem. The fix to  unplug the ac  works perfectly but I still wanted to go to sleep entirely even with the AC and even if I unplugged it after going to sleep, so I found a solution, wish is changing the feature  called "Network Connectivity in standby". I found a few posts that worked for me (LTT have a video about it too), Basically enabled the option first in Windows because it's disable by default and then disabling the feature itself in every energy mode, that way I didn't have to change anything in Armoury Creator, and it works every time I put the laptop to sleep, I did the tests making sure the fans stopped completely looking with a flashlight in every case, ( with AC, without AC, and Unplugging the AC after putting it to sleep). I hope you can fix the problem too with these links. 

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-modern-standby-network-connectivity-in-windows-11.32...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/108378-add-networking-connectivity-standby-power-options-windows...